Should I get 2WD or AWD?

I've decided to buy a new or nearly new Toyota RAV4 and need a quick delivery after lockdown. Don’t really need AWD but like the security of extra traction. We live in a town centre and do about 10,000 miles a year at home and abroad, mainly A roads. For quick delivery and lower price being offered on 2WD models, will I really notice the difference in driving? The other option is to pay more and wait for AWD. Maybe this Coronavirus lockdown mean better deals on new RAV4s.

Asked on 15 April 2020 by John Stanley

We'd recommend the 2WD model. Most buyers won't need 4WD - a set of all-season or winter tyres will make a surprising difference if you're concerned about cold weather. You could hold out for an AWD model but, in the current climate, it's difficult to say how long that'd take. With factories closed, a shortage of new cars might actually see fewer deals being offered on new cars. If you've been offered a 2WD RAV4 at a price you're happy with, don't hesitate in going for it.