Can I drive my car without tax during the coronavirus outbreak?

I have March 1979 registered car, which became a historic vehicle this year. Tax ran out 31 March 2020. Followed instructions on DVLA website and took relevant documents to the post office, which said it could not deal with it. So I sent documents with covering letter to DVLA on 12 March. I've not had any reply. I checked their website today and note that they are not dealing with paper applications until further notice. The car is insured and MoT'd, so can I legally use it? DVLA online shows tax as expired.

Asked on 7 April 2020 by Denis Knockton

Answered by Keith Moody
The current Government advice is to avoid all non-essential travel so there's no reason you should be using your historic vehicle at this time. Our emergency services are already stretched and the police are starting to issue fines to drivers who are not going out for essentials (be that food or medical supplies). I'm sure the DVLA will update the tax status of your car after the lockdown is lifted so you can get out driving it again. But, for now, please - stay safe and stay home.