Many of us are not using our cars during the pandemic - what do we do to keep our cars working properly?

So many of us are not using our cars during the pandemic. What advice can you give us? Are we allowed to go for a 20-mile drive to keep things in motion? And when should we do this, if allowed? If not allowed, what do we do?

Asked on 3 April 2020 by Barbara Huckerby

You should only use your car for essential travel (to buy food, medicine or getting to work). I would not advise taking your car for a 20-mile drive to maintain the battery - if you are involved in an accident or breakdown then you will add unnecessary pressure to your potentially stretched local emergency services).

You may want to consider fitting a charger to your vehicle's battery. Otherwise I would recommend staying at home and addressing any potential vehicle problems when the coronavirus lockdown has passed.

For general coronavirus motoring advice, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/coronavirus/coronavirus-what-...s