I need a part for my old car, but it's no longer available - what should I do?

We are using a 1995 Volvo 850 estate that has given us excellent service since bought used in 1998. However, recently we have experienced a very occasional failure of the direction indicators which led me to consult my local garage. It seems that a replacement steering column direction indicator switch cannot be sourced through Volvo, who have given us the part number. I cannot find one through the Volvo owners club or various pattern parts manufacturers. A replacement relay would be available, so it really depends whether the fault lies there or in the switch. Can you advise me on any possible way forward?

Asked on 16 March 2020 by bakeart

Answered by Keith Moody
I'd be very tempted to try a Volvo breakers to see if you can get the bits you need. You could try Lakes Autos on 01480 212291. Failing that, ask for help on the club forums - chances are that someone somewhere has a spares car.
Tags: older cars