Does a Volvo V70 make a sensible used buy?

I'm after a £1000 car for family and dog with space and that's cheap to repair. Where do you sit on a Volvo V50 or V70 for this sort of cash?

Asked on 21 February 2020 by Peter Walsh

I once bought a cheap S60 (saloon version of the V70) and it was a lovely car, but you have to be prepared to scrap it and move on if anything goes wrong at this kind of budget. If you go down the V70 route, look for a manual as the automatic gearboxes are renowned for issues. A V50 would be rough at this price - most are diesels, too, which would make me nervous.