Which small petrol crossover/SUV is best?

I'd recommend a Suzuki Vitara. They're reliable and offer excellent value for money. Also consider a Honda HR-V.
We're looking for a petrol automatic SUV/crossover with good mpg and fully spec'd for short daily use, with occasional long journeys. We are looking at the Volkswagen Touareg, Hyundai Tucson and Honda...
I am thinking of buying the new Honda HR-V having waited for them to put a decent engine under the bonnet. I have read many reports of full dilution issues - petrol in the oil, particularly in the USA....
I need to find a petrol SUV with a high driving position that's good for long runs (have dodgy hip), has a sporty feel, decent size carrying capacity and kerb appeal. My searches so far have failed to...
Highly practical and versatile thanks to 'magic' seats. Strong i-DTEC diesel.
Very good to drive and comfortable. Lots of interior space. Five star Euro NCAP rating. Relatively economical. Excellent 1.0 BoosterJet engines.