Reliable used car for £5000 or less

My wife's car has given up the ghost. I'm therefore looking to buy a used car for £5000 or less, that will hopefully last for the next five years. Obviously, reliability and running costs are really important, and given the size of children it would need to be bigger than a city car. What should we be considering?

Asked on 14 February 2020 by CMW2175

Around £5000 will get you a tidy example of a Honda Civic from around 2011. It should be reliable and will be practical enough for your wife and kids. Also, consider a Skoda Octavia - it's got a huge boot and is available as an estate, too.