Should I prepare my car for two months storage?

Following surgery next March/April, I will be unable to drive my petrol Mazda CX-3 (mileage 8000) for approximately two months. The car will be garaged during that time. Will there be consequences if it is left unused for this protracted period? Would it be advisable to run the engine, while the car is stationary, for short periods each week? Is there anything else you could advise me to do?

Asked on 30 January 2020 by igi

Answered by Keith Moody
You shouldn't have much to worry about. One thing we'd recommend is making sure you hook the battery up to a trickle charger to stop it going flat. With so few miles on, the levels (oil, water etc) should be fine - but do check. If things take a little longer than expected, then have a friend take it out for a good run - this will help stop tyres going 'square' and the brakes getting too sticky. If you can, clean, polish and wax the car before you put it away as this will protect the bodywork.