Mont Carlo, or bussed

My French registered MINI Cooper’s power steering developed a leak at 29,000km. BMW/MINI Cannes, from whom I purchased the car 6 years ago and who have serviced it regularly, charged me 1,356 Euros to rectify the fault with a replacement "Cremaillere de Direction" (toothed rack), declining to assume part of the cost. At the same time last week, another motorist, experiencing an identical fault with his car, after 70,000 km, wrote to the French Motoring magazine ‘Auto Plus’, complaining of the fact that his Concessionaire had only agreed to accept 45% of the total cost. In reply, the French magazine’s motoring correspondent stated that if such a fault developed up to 60,000 km, the entire cost should be assumed by the Concessionaire. Are you of the same opinion?

Asked on 27 March 2010 by C.B., Cannes

I don't know what the law is in France or whether the French motoring
correspondent is just making that up, but this is a common problem with R50 MINIs. However, power steering life has nothing whatsoever to do with the distance the car has travelled, and everything to do with how much the steering is used. Consequently PAS on cars used in towns lasts a far lesser distance travelled than PAS on cars that do many hundreds of kilometres a day on autoroutes.