Exchange rate

For past 12 years I have run BMW 325i convertibles and change every two years. I have noticed the cost to switch increasing every time I change. It was originally around £10k. Last time it crept up to £14k, and now I am being asked for £20k. This relates to a 50% fall in value over 2 years. We do like our open top motoring and would like to buy another one. However, before doing so, is there a convertible out there that retains its price better? I have a budget of £45k and do about 8k miles a year.

Asked on 6 March 2010 by A.S., Ware

Sterling has dropped 30% against the Euro over the last couple of years and more than 40% against the Yen, which explains why UK car prices are rising. I'd take a very serious look at a Lexus IS250C. I rate it as the most refined convertible top down you can buy. Better than a Bentley. Also, if you're not too far from Reading, and want something faster, have a look at the Infiniti G37 Coupe Cabrio.