What's the best budget £5k small auto?

What small automatic can you recommend? My precious Toyota Yaris has just failed its MoT and needs work that is more than the car is worth. My budget is approx £5000.

Your review state the Hyundai i10 has rapidly corroding rear disc brakes. Do you still think Hyundai i10, Kia Picanto and maybe Suzuki are good little automatics?

Asked on 18 November 2019 by Carol Lorrayne

I wouldn't be too concerned about the rear disc brake problems with the i10 - Hyundai developed new brake pads to prevent this issue so it's easily fixed, and most effected cars will have had the work done now. Indeed, the i10 and Kia Picanto are both excellent little cars with reliable automatic gearboxes. The Suzuki Swift might be worth a look, but there aren't as many about as the i10 or Picanto. Also consider a slightly bigger Honda Jazz or Nissan Note.