Can I make my Euro5 vehicle Euro6 compliant to avoid ULEZ charges?

I have Hyundai IX35 2.0 CDI which I use for towing my streetfood kitchen (converted horsebox and trailer bbq) but it is not Euro6 compliant. What is required to make it compliant and is this expensive? I would then need TFL to agree the car is now compliant to avoid ULEZ charges.

Asked on 21 October 2019 by Michael D

In short, I don't think it can be done. I'm unaware of any retrofit solutions (for cars or vans) that will convert the engine from Euro5 to Euro6. That said, some Euro5 diesels do qualify for exemption from the ULEZ charge. This is because the standards are based on the tailpipe emissions and not the engine Euro rating. It could be that your car is already exempt from the charge. You can check it here: vans.honestjohn.co.uk/ulez-van-checker-will-you-ha...e