Is the Vauxhall Viva a good buy as a small car?

A few weeks ago I started looking at a Vauxhall Viva on the scrappage scheme. The Viva was about £11000 before £4000 scrappage, however after the bank holiday, there was then no mention of Viva scrappage on the website. We then discovered no mention of Viva. I used online chat to be told the following: "Unfortunately all the Vivas have sold. Vauxhall are no longer making the model either. We do have used ones but they're not available on scrappage". Have I had a lucky escape?

Yes, Vauxhall is no longer selling the Viva in the UK. There are plenty of as-new pre-registered examples still available, though, provided you're not too fussed about spec - speak to your local dealer or search the classifieds for one. These won't be eligible for scrappage but there should still be some big savings to be had over list price. We'd also look at the Kia Picanto or Hyundai i10. Also consider a Suzuki Celerio, but this is being dropped too.