Can I fit all-weather tyres to the front of my car only and then change the rears when they are worn?

I have read with interest all your posts about all-weather tyres. I will need new front tyres soon for my 17 plate Fiat Tipo 1.4 T-Jet 120 Station Wagon with 205/55 R16 wheels after the last set of budget tyres only lasted a year. Can I fit all-weather tyres to the front only and then change the rears when they are worn? Also which makes of tyres would you recommend, please?

Not in my view. The car needs to be fitted with all-weather tyres or cold weather tyres to all for wheels because any disparity front to back could have the car suddenly off the road in snow, particularly when descending hills. These tyres are directional, so need to be fitted the right way round. I recommend Continental AllSeason Contacts, Michelin Cross Climate or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen II. All have the additional year-round advantage of providing a more compliant ride and better steering feel.

Check Tyres On The Drive (bit.ly/2ZlEVaR) and Blackcircles.com (bit.ly/2JM6bqG) for sizes and prices and read our Tyre Buying Guide (bit.ly/2wsFHBU)