A colleague has removed the DPF on his car - is this illegal?

My work colleague has had problems with the DPF blocking up on his 2012 Mondeo. He has had the DPF removed and been told it is only illegal to remove the DPF on cars made in 2014 or later. Is this correct?

Yes, it is illegal to drive a car that was designed to have a DPF without one fitted. This is because should you remove it, your car no longer meets its emissions standards. Owners face fines of up to £1000 for cars and £2500 for vans if caught. Removing a DPF can also invalidate your car insurance policy.

From February 2014, checking the presence of a DPF became part of the MoT test procedure. All cars that are designed to have a DPF now get inspected for one. If it’s missing it will mean an immediate failure.