I'm after a workhorse MPV - what do you suggest?

I'm looking for an MPV for carting around me, my wife and two dogs, with space for an ageing mother and (fold up wheelchair) plus stock for our pub! It will cover short trips and around 7000 miles a year. We need something reliable with cheap running costs for the next three years.

A SEAT Alhambra has loads of space and is available with the 1.4-litre TSI petrol engine, which would be ideal for your short trips. A Renault Scenic or Grand Scenic would be another good option. Alternatively, consider a van-based people carrier like the Ford Tourneo Connect or Vauxhall Combo Life - although the former's only available with diesel engines.