Can I register a car in someone else's name?

I have two cars. Both are registered in my name, although one of these is mostly driven by my wife. To avoid complications, I now wish to transfer this car into her name. How and when is the best way to go about this? Presumably, I shall also need to advise the insurers of this change?

Asked on 21 November 2018 by Hugh Roberts

First, the car has to be insured with your wife as the main driver. Then you need to use the V5C (or go online) to transfer registered keepership to her (www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle). Then you have to re-tax it from that date. (You will be refunded for any full months of unused tax you have paid.)