Can I register a car in someone else's name?

I have two cars. Both are registered in my name, although one of these is mostly driven by my wife. To avoid complications, I now wish to transfer this car into her name. How and when is the best way to go about this? Presumably, I shall also need to advise the insurers of this change?

Asked on 21 November 2018 by Hugh Roberts

Answered by Honest John
First, the car has to be insured with your wife as the main driver. Then you need to use the V5C (or go online) to transfer registered keepership to her ( Then you have to re-tax it from that date. (You will be refunded for any full months of unused tax you have paid.)
Similar questions
I bought a car from a dealer that didn't have the V5. I used a V62 to register and tax the car. The advert showed two previous owners, but I've now found out that it's had three previous keepers (all individuals,...
Am I right in thinking that a family who has settled in Eire (purchased a property and living there for almost two years) are not allowed to keep their car registered to a UK address of a family member...
My son recently started work and now rents a flat in London. His car is registered, insured and still kept at home in Bedfordshire where he uses it very occasionally when he comes home. How does he stand...

Ask Honest John

Value my car