What's the best car for a 600 mile weekly commute?

I face a 600 mile per week commute and need a reliable, comfortable and cheap to run car (in that order). I'm 6'6" tall and have a family plus a dog. I don't mind the badge but the budget is up to £6000 although I'd be very happy to spend a lot less!

Asked on 5 November 2018 by Charles

For that kind of mileage, I'd be taking inspiration from taxi drivers. A diesel Toyota Avensis would be very robust and your budget will get you one with lots of life left in it. It's not an exciting or interesting car, but it will do the job and ought to be comfortable. You can get an estate version for carrying the dog, too. If you bought a 2011 model with around 70,000 miles on the clock, I'd look to keep it for three or four years before seeking a replacement. As an alternative, the Skoda Superb is a bit more comfortable and spacious than the Avensis. We've not had many reports of issues with the diesel engines, although the DSG automatic gearboxes can be troublesome.