Do you recommend winter or all-season tyres?

Winter's here in highland Scotland so I need to change from the summer tyres on my Mazda CX-5. Would you recommend winter (as I've always bought in the past) or all-season? I do about 20,000 miles a year so will obviously need to change the summer tyres in due course anyway.

Asked on 31 October 2018 by Loretta

All-weather tyres remove the hassle of having to change tyres over twice a year. But the range is more limited. If you're on 17-inch wheels with 225/65 R17s you can fit Michelin Cross Climates. If you're on 19-inch wheels with 225/55 R19 tyres, Michelin's only option is Pilot Alpin 5 SUV fitted from November to March, then back to Summer tyres for the summer. You may be able to get all weather 225/55s in Pirelli Scorpion Verde, Nokian Weatherproof, Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons or another make of all weather tyre.