What's a good second car for teenagers to learn to drive in?

Please can you recommend a good second hand car? We are looking for something fairly cheap to buy, low cost to insure for new drivers and mostly just used for around-town driving. My wife will drive it (aged 45) most of the time but it will also get used by our two teenagers who are learning to drive - our daughter aged 17 and our son aged 19.

Asked on 19 September 2018 by Andrew Hart

We'd be looking at a Toyota Aygo (or equivalent Citroen C1 and Peugeot 108). They're cheap to buy and run plus they're robust enough to cope with two learner drivers. Alternatively, the Volkswagen Up, Skoda Citigo and SEAT Mii are all excellent city cars which shouldn't cost a fortune to insure.