What's the modern equivalent of something like a Mercedes 190E or Saab 900?

in the 1990's I owned a Mercedes 190E and a Saab 900 both of which seemed to able to run for ever with strong build and not much electronics. I'd like to buy one today - but they are meanwhile 30 years old. Is there a modern equivalent (last 10 years) that could be kept and repaired for the next 20 years?

Asked on 6 September 2018 by Rory

With more and more technology, it's hard to predict how modern cars today will fare over the coming decades. While Toyota isn't the most exciting of car brands, it consistently scores highly in reliability surveys and we see no reasons why most of its models won't be good for hundreds of thousands of miles (there's a reason why taxi drivers love them). Alternatively, have you considered an electric car? It might sound a strange recommendation, but they have less mechanical parts to go wrong. The Nissan Leaf is now eight years old and we hear of very few issues, as long as you're prepared to buy a new battery at some point along the line.