My car is going to be delivered later than expected - can we hold off registration a few days to get the 68-plate?

My husband ordered a new car for me in May for delivery near my birthday (end of June). I'm now informed that it will be in this country for 4 August, which would mean we would probably get it in mid-August. Can we ask the dealer to postpone the registration until 1 September so that we get the 68 reg plate instead of 18?

Depends. Not if it's NEDC certificated. But yes if it's certificated to EU6d TEMP / WLTP emissions standard. It would be illegal and actually impossible to register a non-EU6d TEMP / WLTP after 31 August. Worst still, if you attempted and failed the car would have to be crushed, so essential to get a non-EU6d TEMP / WLTP registered on or before 31 August.