I have owned my car for 10 years - but now the DVLA says I'm not the registered keeper?

I have owned the same car for 10 years and have not previously had any problems road taxing it. I recently went to road tax it and was refused both online and at the local post office. The DVLA say I am not the registered keeper and insisted I take it off the road which I have done with a SORN as dictated by them. I am now having to rely on public transport which is causing significant stress and inconvenience as well as impacting on what I can and cannot do. The DVLA state it can take two to four weeks for them to look into the problem meanwhile I am deprived the use my car. Do I have any rights regarding this issue?

Asked on 27 June 2018 by Christine Darnbrook

I guess that some scallywag has cloned the registration, put it onto a stolen car and sold it to someone else who is entirely unaware. One thing you can do is enter the registration and make and model here and see what it comes up with: www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla / That will at least tell you if the registration is taxed, MoTd and on the road and would tend to confirm that your reg has been cloned.