First Car - Rachaelink

Hi

I am looking to get my first car at the grand old age of 30. I am looking at small, economic, cars but want one that is fun to drive, and has a decent level of kit. I would also hope to get one with decent warranty. I am aiming to spend between £6-£8k and would prefer to get as new a car as possible.

I know that there are many cars that fit the bill, but just wondered if any posters could post their own personal reviews/opinions?

I have another issue in that I have a permanently injured left ankle. I really want to avoid getting an automatic, but I am conscious that if a clutch is too heavy it might cause me undue pain.

Cheers in advance.

First Car - Happy Blue!

Most small cars should have a light clutch, but you could rent a small car for a week and see how you get on.

Small automatics can lose a lot of efficiency against the manual equivalent so unless you really need to its probably be staying with a manual unless your ankle makes it impossible.

There are many options for you and everyone will have their favourite. How small is small? You could buy the Peugeot107/Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo clones, or the newer Seat Mii/VW Up!/Skoda Citigo clones. Alternatively the Kia Picanto/Hyundai i10. Fiat Panda/500 Alfa MiTo or hordes of smaller Japanese cars.

Decide how small is small, and then ask for more advice. Many small cars do not do an automatic version and you may need to up from the smallest class to get this feature.

First Car - gordonbennet

Good points HB.

Family member around OPs age has had Aygo from since 2010, came from two previous BMWs so a complete change.

Cracking little car, its a treat to drive albeit not a road rocket at motorway speeds but keeps up with all traffic in normal day to day and is very light to drive with good all round visibility, torquey engine almost impossible to stall, has been totally reliable and being the Toyota version the dealer back up is first class, plus any Toyota registered from 2010 has a 5 year warranty so balance of a real warranty not expensive bog roll as most aftermarket warranties turn out, cheap insurance, £20 VED, very economical, full size spare wheel.

Just retyred it with a high quality set of all seasons for £200 all in for 4, can't get much cheaper than 155/65 x 14 T rated, i will fit new front pads and discs in the summer for the princely sum of £65 all in (Mintex)

Downside...road noise and radio poor, but if you know a handy geezer (i did these jobs and the results are good) simply lining the rear lower end with soundproofing makes a world of difference (front end and underfloor already adequately soundproofed), replaced CD/radio with good aftermarket (Sony in this case but any good make in half price sale) and replaced all 4 poor speakers with Alpine/Pioneer, all in £200 in bits and its made a huge difference....also slipped an underseat active subwoofer in as she's a music buff but this would be overkill for many...all i'm saying is that dont be put off these small cars due to some of their minor lackings, a bit of common sense some elbow grease and a small investment can make them into much nicer cars to travel in without losing their fantastic cheap ownership benefits.

Whatever you decide to buy do lots of research before buying, too few people do this and end up with expensive and unreliable badges.

First Car - Bobbin Threadbare

Good points HB.

Family member around OPs age has had Aygo from since 2010, came from two previous BMWs so a complete change.

My mum has run an Aygo for 6 years now. Not a single problem with it. Very very cheap to run and low insurance too.

A Honda Jazz might be a nice first car as well - I don't think they're as cheap as some of the other models mentioned in this thread but they are very placid and comfortable. I have had reason to drive one for about a week recently and I found it to be very comfy and roomy with an excellent seat position for lumbar support (admittedly I also found it utterly the most dull drive ever, with no 'oomph' whatsoever. But then I am used to a small sports car).

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 08/01/2013 at 22:00

First Car - Auristocrat

As regards automatics, I would be wary of buying any of the Easytronic or MMT models, which are not true automatics, and a compromise between an auto and a manual. Can be very expensive to fix.

If you have to go for an automatic, cars like the Kia Picanto, Kia Rio, Hyundai i10 and i20, Suzuki Alto, Suzuki Swift and Suzuki Splash can be had with 'proper' automatic gearboxes.

The previous comment about the Toyota five year warranty being from 2010 isn't quite correct. New Toyotas from July 2010 came with the five year warranty - before July 2010, the warranty was three years. However, 'Approved' used Toyotas come with a minimum of a 1 year warranty, and Toyota warranties are usually as bulletproof as you can get

First Car - unthrottled

Cars with hydraulic operated clutches will have a light pedal action, almost irrespective of the size of the car or engine.

The Ford Fiesta has to be worth a look. For a first car I would offer some fairly generic advice:

1.) Give serious consideration to rear visibility. A lot of modern cars have poor rear visibility, and this makes driving a chore-especially for the inexperienced. It's not just parking, but motorway driving is much more relaxed when you have a good view of the road behind you.

2.) Avoid 'bargains'. If the vendor appears to have underpriced the car, they know something you don't.

3.) Personally, I would not spend that much on a first car. This is not meant to be patronising. But you won't know what you want/miss until you actually spend some time in a car. It's easy to spend money on kit you don't actually use.

Happy car hunting!

First Car - Andrew-T

Agree with all the points above. You must have experienced friends' cars and have some ideas, so go for some test drives or hire for a few days to get the feel. It may be worth spending a little to save the cost of a hasty decision.

Presuming you are a lady, that will probably limit the choice, just as it would for a man, so I won't make any personal suggestion. If you are thinking of any particular model, look at the Readers' Reviews on this website.

First Car - John Boy

I have left leg injuries which aren't going to go away and I finally had to change to automatics about 18 months ago. I haven't driven lots of different cars, but my daughter's Hyundai i20 stands out for having a really light clutch. She bought it new 3 years ago and has had no problems with it.

First Car - Engineer Andy

I would concur with much of what's already been said, and would also say that extended test drives (including over a weekend if you can get one) on a variety of roads, especially a route (such as the drive to work) that you frequently use, plus a general good mix of road types & situations (to see how the car copes) is very useful.

You should also get a reasonable understanding of whether you feel comfortable driving the car the longer you do so - this can matter a lot if you're going to be driving it often and/or for long distances, or if you've got problems with your limbs (as you have) or your back (as I do). More modern cars will have more "adjustment" features for the driver's seat and sterring wheel than older ones, so always spend a while getting comfortable (making adjustments) before setting off for your test drive. Some cars (e.g. the Peugeot 206) has I believe very offset pedals (most cars do to an extent, some more so than others [especially on smaller cars]), which (also with offset steering wheels) can make driving uncomfortable and possibly cause long-term back and leg problems.

As this is your first car, you need to be as comfortable using it as possible, so make sure you don't get one (unless you're very good with electronics and multi-tasking) that has simple controls for the ICE, heater or A/C etc so that you keep you mind on driving rather than fiddling with some awkward buttons to find some function on the CD player etc. Better to have a safe but boring first car, than a flashy one written off in a ditch with nasty injuries to yourself and your friends/family because you took your eyes off the road too long to fiddle with the stereo. The same goes for insurance groups - don't be tempted to go for an older flashy car (e.g. a early 2000's BMW 3 series 325i etc or Gold GTi) because you'll unlikely to have the necessary experience to handle the car at the limit for a good while, plus you'll pay a fortune in premiums as you're a new driver.

Something simple, easy to insure, repair and drive that doesn't cost the earth to run and is reasonably reliable. My first car (back in 2008) was a two year old Micra, with no electronic gizmos (it had wind-down windows) - just a heater, a radio cassette player and a manual sunroof (a bonus) - no A/C, sat nav (not invented back then!), electric mirrors/sunroof/windows/do-dahs. It had the added bonus of being not attractive to car thieves, given all the other more "desirable" cars around at the time.

Go for something more upmarket on your second car after about 3-5 years.

Best of luck!

First Car - jamie745

I wouldn't want a small automatic either, if you have to get an auto you're better off with a bigger car with some clout under the bonnet. I can recommend a Jaguar S-Type 3.0V6 in black with 'ivory and light walnut' interior, but that's just me.

The Fiesta is a good shout, I've driven one of them and the clutch is very light and it can be steered with one finger. The dash layout is like a Nokia mobile phone and everything is pretty straight forward. It's a good enough steer but the fact remains you'll pay a premium for them. You'll get more for your money with bigger cars such as the Mondeo though I can understand why a new driver might not fancy something so huge.

First Car - countryroads

Have a look at Hyundai i20. I say i20 over i10 because unless you really want a tiddler you can have more comfort and refinement with similar running costs.

Incredibly easy to drive, very very light clutch and the 1.2 engine is very good. I got 62mpg showing in normal driving in a facelifted i20 1.2 that started the journey with 9 miles on the clock! You may be able to secure an ex demo facelifted car within budget however pre facelifts are inherently the same but with spec differences. All came with 5 year warranties and all have Air Con (apart from the pointless Blue model in the facelift cars).

All i20s have ESP as standard and full length curtain airbags too.

If you do decide on an auto, the i20 has a 'proper' autobox with torque converter, dipstick for checking the fluid etc so is a much better choice than most however you will be looking at an older car to grab an auto for that money. I would buy the i20 with my own money over Fiesta or Polo or anything else in class to be honest.

Edited by countryroads on 02/01/2013 at 21:04

First Car - Rachaelink

Thanks everyone for your advice, by all means keep the suggestions coming. I had considered the i10 given that it is a 1.2l same as the i20 but lighter so thought it might be a bit more fun to drive.. just looks terrible! I will arrange some test drives over the coming months and see what I prefer. I am loathed to buy a Ford because you pay so much to get a decent amount of kit.

First Car - Happy Blue!

Not necessarily. You have to compare every model.

If you like the idea of the i10 but prefer a better looking car, teh Kia Picanto is a much smarter vehicle but the same underneath.

First Car - unthrottled

What kit do you want? Unnecesary equipment in a small car can make the cabin feel cluttered, rather than providing a degree of refinement.

Fiddly HVAC or radio controls can be pain when you inadvertantly press the wrong button in the dark and can't remember which button you pressed that's changed your stereo to aux input, so you stab another button which changes the menu into Russian, so you carry on stabbing away until it locks you out completely.

(maybe that's just me... :) )

First Car - Rachaelink

haha maybe that is just you!

Things like A/C.. not that I live in sub tropical climes but it would be nice to have. The Picanto base models don't come with things like that. Furthermore the 1.25 litre engine is pricey in compairson to the i10.. but then it looks so much better.

I dont know if i am getting drawn to the Kia/Hyundai cars because of the warranty though, and perhaps overlooking better cars as a result.

First Car - jamie745

Ignore unthrottled. He drives a '96 Renault Megane and thinks that's far too complex.

AC is good. Wouldn't spend more than a grand on anything without it. Kia and Hyundai make solid cars but for the money you're looking to spend I'd want something which at least gets the blood flowing. Something interesting and better than a dry alternative to walking.

First Car - Avant

"Furthermore the 1.25 litre engine is pricey in compairson to the i10.. but then it looks so much better."

When we were looking for one of these for my daughter a few months ago the i10 had a special offer on and was about £1,000 cheaper than the Picanto (and £5,000 cheaper than another Yaris, of which she'd had four in a row).

I can't say we noticed much difference in looks between the i10 and the Picanto: small 5-door hatchbacks are functional rather than beautiful and that's probably as it should be. This isn't a type of car where style taking precedence over substance would be very helpful.

First Car - jamie745

Who buys the same car four times? I am of course a perfect gentleman and respectful of a ladies choice (especially when her father is the forums Big Cheese) but seriously, weird.

First Car - Avant

Well that makes three of us in the family: I had seven big Renaults (although 6 different models) in a row between 1980 and 2000, I'm on my second Skoda and SWMBO her fifth successive Mini.

Not weird: people are just different, and we all enjoy driving. If you like your Jaguar, I wouldn't think it weird for you to have several more in succession: but if you like a change each time, fine!

First Car - jamie745

It'd be weird for me to buy essentially the same car again though wouldn't it? Unless mine was involved in a horrible accident.

First Car - Avant

Not necessarily.

First Car - countryroads

You really just need to drive them. I find all hatchbacks are very very similar, with ones I like to drive and ones I dont being the only difference! I would avoid things like Corsa which is just tedious and does nothing better than most of its rivals. I would go Korean personally wether Hyundai or Kia, but I have spent thousands of miles behind the wheel of them so I know what they are like.

Agree about AC, gotta have it really and its always great in the summer stuck in traffic seeing people around you sweltering haha!

First Car - 1litregolfeater

As an owner of these marques, I honestly would be very careful buying a small capacity second hand Ford or Vauxhall if you can't fix them yourself, they have very bad servicing, even if done by garages, with a full servicing record.

Just don't buy a french car.

Smart Car? There is a particular profile, use google.

Suzuki or Hyundai, Nissan or Honda, take your pick.

VW Polo is probably the car for you, but they have thier weaknesses, VW's reputation far exceeds its products nowadays. Likewise Audi. You probably don't want a Skoda but more fool you.

I'd get a secondhand BMW 1 series if you can afford the insurance.

First Car - Engineer Andy

As an owner of these marques, I honestly would be very careful buying a small capacity second hand Ford or Vauxhall if you can't fix them yourself, they have very bad servicing, even if done by garages, with a full servicing record.

Just don't buy a french car.

Smart Car? There is a particular profile, use google.

Suzuki or Hyundai, Nissan or Honda, take your pick.

VW Polo is probably the car for you, but they have thier weaknesses, VW's reputation far exceeds its products nowadays. Likewise Audi. You probably don't want a Skoda but more fool you.

I'd get a secondhand BMW 1 series if you can afford the insurance.

Don't forget Mazda (I'm biassed as I own a 3) - the Mazda 2 (both the current 2007-2013 version and the more "old fogey" previous version) is a fine little car the first-timer, and by all acounts very reliable (make sure though that if the car has any of the features listed in HJ's review that were faulty have been repaired/replaced). The newer version is best (according to HJ) in 1.3 TS2 (86 bhp instead of the lower-specced versions with the 75 bhp mapped 1.3 engine) and the origianl firm ride was improved in 2011, so you should be able to get one within your price range by now. Lots about as well, so you should get a good deal at most places, including at the car supermarkets.

First Car - Drivethru

I would find all this different advice more confusing than helpful, all you get is everyones personal opinions, not very objective in most cases. Just pick one you fancy and buy it, that's what I always do, lifes too short to waste on debating cars.

First Car - Avant

"I would find all this different advice more confusing than helpful: all you get is everyones personal opinions, not very objective in most cases."

True, but all the various opinions give Rachael something to think about; obviously she needs to make a shortlist, and then look at and test drive the cars she likes the look of.

We wouldn't want to discourage forum members from giving their thoughts, which could be useful to other readers as well.

First Car - 1litregolfeater

The Mazda - Ford thing kind of puts me off Mazdas, I must be a prejudiced old fool.

First Car - Rachaelink

Cheers for all the advice so far, rather conflicting at times but still interesting to get different perspectives. I will admit I am changing my mind all the time, even about how to finance the purchase of the car, whether to get a brand new vehicle on HP or fun it via a bank loan. My friend has offered to sell me his Seat Ibizia 59 plate 1.9 tdi sport, which I will admit is a bit of a leap from the models I was considering before, but its actually not too much more to insure than I thought and is only £120 p/ year road tax.

One thing I did want to ask though was regarding the '12 plate Hyundai i10. The insurance grouping on these is quite high in comparison to similar vehicles in its class. Indeed its not far off the Seat. Is this just because its a 1.2l engine in a shoe box therefore has better perfomance? Or are there other factors such as security issues I should be aware of?

First Car - countryroads

I would suggest funding a car with a bank loan is a poor idea, you have many more consumer rights with car finance, it is often cheaper in terms of the rate available now and is secured against the vehicle and not your home etc.

If you only plan on keeping the car for a few years (3 ish), look at a PCP deal, these are very often more cost effective too.

Get a quote on the car rather than just looking at the insurance group, mine is a group 14 and costs me less to insure than a Golf with the same engine in group 10.

The Ibiza is a nice car and the TDi is the best one in the real world, you wouldnt be put out if you went for that, but they arent any more refined than say an i10 or Picanto despite the increased size.

First Car - jamie745

One benefit of using a bank loan is if you run into trouble you can at least sell the car to help pay it off.

First Car - countryroads

Potentially, but there will always be a balance to be paid off for the difference, its a case of not taking any finance of any type unless you're sure about it.

In my experience, and I am talking about being a SAF approved part of the sales team, its always safer, and usually cheaper to take motor finance rather than a loan...unless we are talking £3k from a backstreet garage that is!

First Car - jamie745

Who the hell are SAF?

First Car - countryroads

SAF stands for specialist automotive finance, basically it gives a level playing field, and set of guidelines and standards for people who sell or provide finance for vehicles. Started by the finance and leasing association which is the trade association for car finance, asset finance etc etc.

First Car - jamie745

Sounds suspiciously like the clipboard and biscuit brigade to me.

First Car - countryroads

Whatever you would like to think, but it means that if the person you are talking to in a dealership has this approval, they know what they are talking about...its not mandatory though, so its good to find somebody who has it.

Its all about the guy or girl in the showroom being able to offer the right information to help the customer, thats all.

First Car - focussed

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of a low-mileage Honda Jazz. it will do everything that you tell it to do,has an incredible boot capacity with the seats down, unlikely to let you down, return good fuel mileage and will still be worth something when you come to sell it. Buy it from a Honda dealer and you should have very few worries. Job done!

First Car - John Boy

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of a low-mileage Honda Jazz.

Someone has now, in a post above. It took me a long while to realise that posts in this forum are not necessarily sequential. If someone replies to an earlier post, rather than going to the last post and quoting from it, then the new post will appear immediately after the original.

I wonder if Rachael has spotted that?

First Car - Rachaelink

Just a wee update. I think I am going to opt for the 09 plate Seat Ibiza 1.9 tdi. I can get it at trade prce so looking about £6000 as its low mileage for the age.

What do you guys think?

First Car - jamie745

Good car. I'd prefer it without a tractor engine but each to their own.