Skoda Octavia - Clutch fitted 7000 miles ago, now really bad - andyalfagtv

I had a new clutch/flywheel fitted back in May, to replace the DMF (which was failing rapidly). I purchased the new clutch kit from a respected supplier, and contacted a garage recommended to me from the Skoda forum. They fitted the new clutch kit, and had to buy a new release bearing, as the one which had been supplied with the clutch kit, had been destroyed in transit by the Royal Mail.

So, the job was done, and I drove back home through heavy traffic, and handed the car over to my wife who would then use it as her work car.

She commented to me over the next weeks that it felt OK, and that it accelerated very well. We had a holiday booked where we were to use the car to travel around Europe, and we set off one morning in July. As soon as I got on the motorway, changed up through the gears and then gently accelerated in 5th gear, there was obvious clutch slip, and I was dreading the holiday before I had started. We did 2800 miles over the next two weeks, and I had to drive the car like a petrol version - revving through the gears.

On our return I contacted the garage who fitted the clutch, and they told me to contact them if it got any worse.

I had the car MOT'd this week, and the tester (an ex VAG mechanic) said it was like an old clutch on the way out. I contacted the garage yesterday, and they told me that they would have to charge me the full price for taking it apart and checking/refitting it.

I have already spent a lot of money on this, and it should not happen. I have never had a replacement clutch on any vehicle in 30 years driving.

Can anyone please suggest what I do next?

Skoda Octavia - Clutch fitted 7000 miles ago, now really bad - skidpan

The garage who fitted the clutch are quite within their rights to charge you for fitting another clutch. You supplied them with the parts thus it is not their fault they have failed. If they have failed it beacuse they had been fitted incorrectly that would be different but you would have to prove it and it would probably end up in court. Clutches are not difficult to fit and garages rarely get this wrong.

If the part has failed due to faulty manufacture you may get another part FOC but to get the labour part reimbursed you will probably end up taking the supplier to court.

Guess you tried to save yourself a few pence and it will end up costing you a packet. If the fitting garage had supplied the parts it would be far easier to sort.

Skoda Octavia - Clutch fitted 7000 miles ago, now really bad - andyalfagtv

How do you know that it is NOT their fault that the clutch has failed? I have been advised that there are several things which could have been their fault - failure to degrease the new clutch parts/flywheel, failure to fit the correct release bearing, failure to fit the entire unit correctly.

I didn't try to save myself a few pence, I purchased the parts from a reputable source, and had them fitted by a recommended garage.

The supplier of the kit do a fitting service (and are actually cheaper than the garage I used), but are hundreds of miles away, and this is the only car we have.

Skoda Octavia - Clutch fitted 7000 miles ago, now really bad - skidpan

Read my post carefully, I said that if it can be proven that they have fitted them incorrectly you may have a case.

Skoda Octavia - Clutch fitted 7000 miles ago, now really bad - Big John

How do you know that it is NOT their fault that the clutch has failed? I have been advised that there are several things which could have been their fault - failure to degrease the new clutch parts/flywheel, failure to fit the correct release bearing, failure to fit the entire unit correctly.

I didn't try to save myself a few pence, I purchased the parts from a reputable source, and had them fitted by a recommended garage.

The supplier of the kit do a fitting service (and are actually cheaper than the garage I used), but are hundreds of miles away, and this is the only car we have.

" failure to degrease the new clutch parts/flywheel"

If the friction surface of the flywheel hadn't been de-greased it would have caused trouble when first fitted - not 7000 miles later

"failure to fit the entire unit correctly" - agan this would have caused trouble when first fitted - not 7000 miles later

What are the symptoms? Is it just slipping?

Is the clutch biting point and the bottom ir the top of the clutch pedal travel?

Any fluid driping from the base of the bellhousing - if so what does it smell of (engine oil, gearbox oil, clutch fluid)?

Do you have a clutch slave cylinder mounted outside the gearbox or is it the concentric sort?

Edited by Big John on 13/07/2016 at 22:17

Skoda Octavia - Clutch fitted 7000 miles ago, now really bad - RobJP

John, this is nearly a 4 year old thread ?