Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - wypte-bus-preservation

I currently have a renault scenic (2003) bought several years ago, when it was two years old. I'm looking to replace early next year.

My main requirement is to have something higher than a normal car due to a back injury sustained in the past. I do find my scenic very good in this regard. I am also 6ft tall and not the slimmest guy on earth. so a roomy drivers seat is a plus.

I am also after something that returns good mpg, and would prefer diesel.

I would look for something 2-3 years old from the auctions most probably.

I'm guessing that most/all 4x4 are out on the grounds of poor economy, and most/all standard hatch/saloon/estate cars are out on the basis of being too low.

I did look at a later scenic (2008) that my garage had and found that the seat didnt go back far enough for me to be comfortable.

Most of the time its just me in the car, occasionally with the missus and the little one (car seat) in the back. Boot size not really relevant.

I do mainly motorway mileage. happy to consider anything that you good people say is worth a look.

Thanks

Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - jamie745

Can't believe I'm going to say this but perhaps you should look at a Citroen Picasso.

Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - Avant

Agreed - try a Picasso, or a Toyota Verso, Mazda 5 or Ford C-Max - even a Vauxhall Zafira if you find it comfortable and driving pleasure isn't a priority.

A Honda Jazz is taller than most cars of that size, but there's no diesel and it's too high-revving to be ideal on motorways.

My ageing, 6'4" neighbour has a Ford Fusion which he says fits him well.

Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - madf

A Honda Jazz is taller than most cars of that size, but there's no diesel and it's too high-revving to be ideal on motorways.

I drive a 2012 Jazz 1.4 CVT. The revs at 70 mph are 2,200. The above comments either refer to teh 1.2 engine or prior models.. 55mpg+on motorways so far.

Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - gordonbennet

Kia Carens, proper torque converter auto if that option required.

Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - 72 dudes

I would also suggest a Picasso, not the older Xsara Picasso but the swoopy C4 Picasso - 2008 onwards. The Grand Picasso may be too big for your needs.

Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - wypte-bus-preservation

Kia Carens, proper torque converter auto if that option required.

Many thanks a colleague actually suggested I look at the Kia Sportage which does 55mpg and on googling I see that it does www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/kia/sportage/specs

Are there any other 4x4 which do over 50mpg please, which I ought to consider?

Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - gordonbennet
Are there any other 4x4 which do over 50mpg please, which I ought to consider?

I expect the Sportage that does 55mpg (which i doubt any owner not sainted would see) will be FWD, i'm not aware of any 4x4 that could give such fuel economy in the real world.

My sons CRV 2 with the 2.2 Diesel gets around 44ish when his wife drives it, he doesn't get that figure, but the quality and reliability of the car makes up for any MPG shortfall and is a vehicle that you should consider IMO if you really want 4WD, not cheap but then quality never has been.

Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - VEC786

Toyota verso carnt beat the 2.0 d4d engines!

Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - GeoffC

I replaced my old RXE 2.0 Scenic with a Honda Jazz EX - but my reasoning was sligjtly different - it's fine, but totally different engine characteristics. I am only 5ft 10½ but there is plenty of leg room and I find the seating position a bit more comfy. However - it is not the first car that would have sprung to mind for someone else - we wanted slightly smaller - yet still with reasonble space. I have reservations about any Citroen Picasso knowing others who have them - the Toyota Verso would be my first port of call to look at...(for you)

Edited by GeoffC on 10/11/2012 at 19:46

Renault Scenic - recommend me a replacement car please - madf

My Jazz ES 1.4CVT averages 47mpg... and is very quiet and pleasant to drive..