Nissan Qashqai - UK - good news - Trilogy
Nissan Sunderland breaks UK manufacturing record <*** src="http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/57682000/jpg/_57682820_3b38411a-8c80-4257-93ae-db31a50a4a3d.jpg" alt="Nissan Qashqai on production line" width="304" height="171" /> Extra staff were taken on to meet demand

Nissan produced 480,485 vehicles at its Sunderland plant in 2011, up 14% from 2010 and a new record for a single UK car plant.

The growth was largely down to the success of the Qashqai models, of which just over 300,000 were made.

The crossover vehicle was the ninth best-selling car in the UK in the first 11 months of 2011, according to the SMMT, with 36,826 sold.

The plant also makes the Juke and Note models.

Continue reading the main story Analysis

In Europe, Nissan sells one in four crossovers, which combine the high ride of 4x4s with the fuel economy and driving style of ordinary cars.

But beyond its ability to deliver the right models at the right time, the plant has also benefited from the historically strong yen against sterling, which has made it more attractive to produce in the UK.

And with the pound being historically weak against other key currencies, especially the euro, much of the Nissan production is shipped abroad. So much, in fact, that Nissan is now the UK's biggest car exporter.

Nissan's vice president for production in the UK, Kevin Fitzpatrick, said that the company had managed to limit disruption from the Japanese earthquake and tsunami by cancelling some overtime work, extending the Easter holidays and shortening the Christmas break.

"We are now back to the volumes we would have expected to have for the year," he told BBC News.

The Sunderland plant has two production lines, one of which makes the Qashqai on three shifts, running 24 hours a day, five days a week. There are also overtime shifts at the weekend.

Extra staff were taken on to meet demand. There are now 5,462 people directly employed at the site.

"We can't make enough of the Qashqai," Mr Fitzpatrick said.

"There is less inventory waiting between the factory gate and dealers than there would normally be," he said.

"We certainly don't have fields of unsold cars."

Much of the demand comes from elsewhere in Europe, helped by the weakness of the pound against the euro.

Paul Everitt, head of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, said: "2011 saw the UK attract a remarkable level of investment, with global vehicle manufacturers committing in excess of £4bn to plants and facilities securing future model production and employment.

"Despite the uncertainty within the eurozone, there is real confidence in the future of UK manufacturing and it will make an increasing contribution to exports, economic growth and employment in the coming years."

Nissan is expecting further expansion at its Sunderland plant this year, with the opening of a facility making lithium-ion batteries for electric cars. It will start constructing Nissan's electric car, the Leaf, in 2013.

Nissan Qashqai - UK - good news - unthrottled

It is so fundamentally depressing to think that Britain's manufacturing fortunes rely on sales of the cashcow.

Nissan Qashqai - UK - good news - Bobbin Threadbare

Indeed it is. It's apparently the UK's most popular used car as well.

There's some sort of Cashcow joke inherent in this sentence: "We certainly don't have fields of unsold cars."

Nissan Qashqai - UK - good news - Collos25

Amazing how a change of name from renault can alter peoples preception.

Nissan Qashqai - UK - good news - Ethan Edwards

No doubt there's a lot of co-mingling but IIRC the last new (top of the range) Renault I had, I recall sticking bits of the interior back with evo stick. One plastic drivers seat adjustment handle.

My 03 and 10 Nissans (from new) have just been rock solid. Thats not a perception just a fact. The XT was built in Japan the Note nailed together in Sunderland. Both darn good.

Nissan Qashqai - UK - good news - unthrottled

Renault are funny. There's no doubt that their quality control has been pretty poor, but I've been very impressed with mine (given what it is).

It's 15 years old and very few non-consumable components have broken. The drivers seat is still firm and the upholstery good. I don't think it has burned a drop of oil.

As for the 'Renault electrics' titters, most of the electrics on mine are from Bosch and Siemans. My sunroof still works perfectly. Can't say that about a lot of MINIs' panoramic roofs...

I guess that even unreliability can itself be unreliable!

Nissan Qashqai - UK - good news - Bobbin Threadbare

Don't forget the bathtub curve!!

Nissan Qashqai - UK - good news - Avant

Unthrottled, your Renault predates the drop in quality control that happened about 2000. I had seven big family Renaults in a row between 1980 and 2001, the last a terrific 1998 Laguna V6, and all were reliable over very high mileages. As no doubt you know, yours is well worth hanging on to until something expensive goes wrong.

Fortunately the Cashcow, like other cars made by Japanese companies (wherever they are assembled) is made to Japanese production standards and has proved reliable. It just shows that there's nothing much wrong with British workmanship given good components and good people management. Possibly some of these workers' fathers worked for BL, Rootes etc in the 1970s and 80s: properly equipped and managed they too could have produced good cars, as their own fathers did in the 1950s.

I don't see the success of the Cashcow to be anything to be depressed about: it provides what a lot of family motorists want, who are perhaps coming out of a drab, underpowered Vauxhall Zafira. Although the top-of-the-range Cashcows live up to their nickname, the basic versions are cheaper than opposition such as Kugas, Tiguans etc.

Edited by Avant on 04/01/2012 at 23:46