*Golk MK4 Vibration URGENT HELP required - chipie
I brought my MK4 1.6 SE in 1998. I had it lowered by 40mm. The CV joints went at 30,000 miles and then again a few weeks ago the passenger side CV joint went at 65,000 miles. I had it changed, but when cornering above 30mph or going round bends, only right hand, (it doesn?t happen when turning left) or when the car went over a dip in the road and bottomed out the car would vibrate.

It feels like it?s coming from the passenger side and gets worse when you speed up round right hand bends. I then changed the drive flange, didn?t work. Then put the standard suspension back on, the vibration wasn?t as violent, but still there.

One garage said it was the diff bearings. I took it to VW and they diagnosed it as the passenger drive side drive shaft. I?ve had it replaced but no luck. VW now say it?s the driver side drive shaft but they are only 90% sure it will cure it. If that doesn?t work they say it?s a gearbox strip. Feels like I?m just throwing money at it at the mo. Don?t want to waste any more money replacing parts that don?t need replacing.

Also I think there is a very faint constant whining sound.
Can anyone help or recommend what might be the problem?
It?s booked in for Monday 2nd December 2002 can anyone help before then?
*Golk MK4 Vibration URGENT HELP required - BMDUBYA
Dont worry about throwing money at it, I have had a couple of problems with my BM where the garage replaced parts trying to fix problems, I simple told them to remove any parts that didnt fix the problem. You can always get legal help from the AA, you do have the law on your side, I always pay for any work on my Barclaycard as they are great if you have a dispute. I guess the points I am trying to make are
1. Go to main dealer.
2. Make it clear you will want the parts removed if the problem is still there.
3. Always pay for it on credit card.

Good luck.
*Golk MK4 Vibration URGENT HELP required - Big John
I think you have problems with front wheel bearings!! The noise from these will change on cornering and /or bottoming out.(louder on the side that the weight is put on, the left/passenger side for turning right) This will also cause the constant whining sound. I've also known bearings to damage CV joints beacuse of lateral movement.

Replacing the CV joint has partly masked this problem as your are supporting the bearing with a tight new joint - for now!!

In addition (problably not in this case) it should be noted that a common CV joint to fail is the inner one close to the exhaust. I have known people change the outer one which seems to fix the problem, but it simply tightens things up stopping the inner one from making noise, when the outer one wears a little bit it starts making a noise again etc.etc.etc... It is knackered grease that causes this, if you refresh this grease every couple of years (peal back boot only!) as part of servicing this problem never happens!.
Sorry about the spelling!!
In addition

Did this actual noise (not the CV clicking) happen before the CV joint replacement? The CV joint could be incorrectly fitted, ie washers the wrong way round etc.
Thanks for the advice. I've had the CV joint checked and it seems to be fitted correctly. Any more iteas?
*Golk MK4 Vibration URGENT HELP required - ChrisV
Chipie,
I'm not sure if this will be any help to you, two friends of mine have had severe problems with lowered cars. (Both were lowered by more than 40mm). A Rover coupe turbo went through diffs every month or so. A Sierra Cosworth had a habit of snapping driveshafts under full throttle. The Cosworth has now been raised and hasn't broken any since.
I assumed that the different angle of the driveshafts in relation to transmission and wheel-bearings had something to do with the problems. As I said though, these cars were lowered to a much greater extent than yours, so the change in driveshaft angle was much greater also.
Hope this helps,
Chris
*Golk MK4 Vibration URGENT HELP required - shaun
Try visiting a site galled clubgti.com the people in the forum there will probably be able to help, also UKMKIVS.NET
*Golk MK4 Vibration URGENT HELP required - steve paterson
Don't know if it's relevant, but going back to the days of the Austin maxi, noisy cv joints were often caused by the hydrolastic suspension 'sinking'. A quick pump up usually sorted it out.
*Golk MK4 Vibration URGENT HELP required - Peter D
The very faint constant whining sound. Is of concern. Does this come in at about 40 Mph and wind up into the 80’s A high pitched 'whistle' with a slight trill to it. If so your diff main cluster bearings or at least one is about to fail. £450 rebuilt. If that is the problem if will deteriate quire quickly slight noise to bad is 1000 miles. I also suspect you have a N/S wheel bearing away which is your vibration. Regards Peter
Thanks all for your advice. Finally it has been fixed. It was the offside drive shaft.
*Golk MK4 Vibration URGENT HELP required - borasport20
ta for letting us know - it's always good to find out what the problem was

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up