Ford Mondeo v6 - advice - Mattydogdoodah

im just about to buy a 1999 Ford Mondeo Ghia X V6 auto. what should i look out for? are auto gearboxes reliable? please help. thanks

Ford Mondeo v6 - advice - Buster Cambelt

I had a 1997 V6 Ghia Auto as a company car when we were taxed differently in this country. Loved it to bits but 26-28mpg would hurt a lot these days. I had only one problem in all the time I had it, after about 300 miles the box got stuck in second (limp home maybe). It took the dealer about an hour to fix and never did it again.

Alas a magnet for various nutters and most of the panels got damaged in the three years I had it.

Nice car though, even if the fuel bills were steep.

Ford Mondeo v6 - advice - pd
It depends which gearbox it has (and I can't remember which one these came with).

If it is the Ford CD4E then the short answer is "no". If it is something else then the answer is probably "yes".

I have a vaugue recall that the 4-cylinders did have the CD4E but the V6's had something else.
Ford Mondeo v6 - advice - PatrickO

Have you driven an auto before? in my experience people either love them or hate them. I wouldn't buy an auto car unless it was a fancy twin clutch like a Nissan GTR or similar.

Ford Mondeo v6 - advice - sandy56

the V6 is a very good engine, as long as you look after it. Dont skimp on servicing and mpg is not great 25-29 mpg.

expect the alternator to fail unless its already been done.

also the exhaust/ catalyst can become blocked- an expensive replacement.