Renault Espace 2004 2lt petrol auto trans - Various problems all I hope related - BFSF

Several problems with this car all started at the same time.

Firstly, when cold the engine starts first time and the car drives as you would expect. Once warm however, the car goes into limp mode and is difficult to get over 30 mph unless going down hill. Also when warm the car will not start first time and run. It will start but stops almost immediately. This must be repeated two or three times before the engine runs normally. At about the same time we noticed an oil leak –not sure from where- and found the oil level seriously low. Topping up did not cure the problems. No warning lights are showing so, can we have your opinion as to the cause of our problem please?

Renault Espace 2004 2lt petrol auto trans - Various problems all I hope related - injection doc

If the autobox is going into linp mode do not drive it as it WILL burn out 3rd gear

It may have a small air leak & when warm as the mixture is weaker than when cold the tick over is unstable.

One tip with a Renault, is check that all the rear lights & brake lights are working properly, no bad earths of flashing or dim lights when they are all tested. faulty rear lights will cause the autobox to go into limp mode & can cause stalling as the brake lights are connected to the engine management.

I have seen so many of these with so many faults caused by corroded light clusters or dodgy bulbs.