1991. Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Cluth and release bearing change without removing - Pioneer1980

I have always thought that in general, to change a clutch and release bearing the gearbox has to come out, but I've seen references to doing this without removing the gearbox. Is this possible on a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol made in 1991? If so, can anyone give me an idea how to do it? I have some knowledge abour car repair work but so far, all I've done on this car is fit a new alternator (car belongs to my daughter).

Any information would be much appreciated....................... Jim (aka combwork).

1991. Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Cluth and release bearing change without removing - 659FBE
The gearbox primary shaft is telescopic and can be withdrawn from the clutch centre plate in situ, using an access aperture at the roadwheel end of the gearbox. To remove the clutch unit, there is a large sheet metal access plate at the bottom of the bellhousing. An excellent design, sadly dropped on later models.

The job is very simple and straightforward but you will need 3 clips to hold the pressure plate in a compressed state to permit withdrawal.

It would take me some time to outline the procedure and I can't provide illustrations. Why not buy a Haynes manual?

Use a gearbox top cover bolt as a puller to withdraw the primary shaft.
1991. Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Cluth and release bearing change without removing - Pioneer1980

Thank you 659. I will 'persuade' my daughter to buy the manual. So far whatever maintanence I've done on the car I've made sure she's watching. This might sound like a daft question but just to be certain, with the access plate off will I be able to renew the release bearing? The odd thing is that the clutch operating lever seems to be spring loaded against the release bearing, keeping it under constant (but light) load. The clutch itself doesn't slip but even when the clutch peddle is up, the release bearing howls like a banshee.

1991. Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Cluth and release bearing change without removing - 659FBE

You can renew the release bearing with the transmission in situ, but the clutch assembly has to come out first.

The bearing being sprung loaded against the diaphragm fingers is a GM "feature" such that the clutch can be adjusted by setting the cable length for a given pedal height. Predictably as you have found, it's hard on the bearing.

Thanks again 659. Much appreciated.