Ineffective Fiat Hanbrakes!!! - Mental Mike
What is it with fiat handbrakes that makes them so inefficient? For as long as I can remember small Fiats have always had this problem. I understand that Volvos are also v poor on the handbrake front.

Anyway, as I've mentioned on another thread, I've got my Punto booked in at Arnold Clark's for a service and MOT right now. They phoned me to say that most of the components of the back brakes are seized and need to be replaced and quoted some extortionate sum. Obviously I'm not letting them touch it. I'm not convinced that they haven't invented this problem themselves. I was under the impression that the handbrake just needed a good adjustment. Can anyone tell me some symptoms of seized rear brakes?
Ineffective Fiat Hanbrakes!!! - Cyd
I'd ask for more detail on what they say is wrong.

I'd also consider a second opinion.
Ineffective Fiat Hanbrakes!!! - blank
I would also ask them for a written quotation for solving the problem. Then ask for a second opinion, which should be fairly easy to come by from quickfit centres offering free brake checks.
Ineffective Fiat Hanbrakes!!! - teabelly
If the rear brakes are seized/partially seized then you can tell by looking at the condition of the rear disks. If they are much more rusty than the front ones then it is likely there is a problem with the callipers. You will also notice that the car feels funny when the back brakes aren't working properly. There will be a sensation of the front slowing down but the back is still pushing the car along in some way. I have had problems with Girling callipers on fiats seizing up and needing replacement. I have had the same problem on the lancia but this seems to have been caused by lack of maintenance as certain moving parts need to be greased regularly to stop them bunging up. Who serviced the car before you had it?
teabelly