1997 306XTDT d8A engine - XUD9TE Plastic filter problems solved. - Zaz

This is a postmortem of how I solved the hard to start problems in an XUD9TE D8A engine that I fitted to the sons Peugeot 306 xtdt. You can find all the old threads and requests for assistance back 2 years.

The end result and conclusions are that you may well get faulty advice from "french car experts" who may well miss the problem.

History:

XUD9TE D8A engine retrofitted into a 1997 model, ran OK at first.

Hard to start after about 6 months result new glow plugs.

Shifted from temperate cool climate to tropics in Queensland and problems encountered with summer fuel blend, hard to start and Lucas fuel pump started leaking fuel.

Fuel pump refitted from old engine (DHY) now on a D8A.

Still hard to start, so car shipped south 2000 km by truck back home where I started to analyse the starting problems.

FIRST: It required many hand pumps of the rubber squeezie bulb and at least two glow plug cycles.

SECOND Big puff of black smoke.

THIRD: Lethargic performance: Like about 110 KM/H and all day down hill to accelerate, suspected turbo impellar problems.

PROBLEMS SLOWLY SOLVED:

1/. Fit electric clicker stepper fuel pump.

2/. removed squeezie bulb forever.

3/. Can see diesel fuel dripping from water drain nozzle on front of the filter, so ran lead from inlet line direct to electric fuel pump to fuel injector pump.

4/. FIRST bled fuel line.

5/. Click click instant start.

THEN looked at lethargic performance and found guy in Townsville frenchie peugeot expert had fitted circlip allowing only 1/3 throttle travel.

6/, Put circlip in full extended position and took for run,

FULL BOOST, GREAT ACCELERATION and over 180 KM/H top speed.

What a change.

FINALLY on advice of the mechanic friend fitted a NISSAN particle filter into the fuel line to take out any condensation (WATER KILLS DIESELS).

Now car starts and runs every time with ONE GLOW PLUG CYCLE>

The little clicker fuel pump means you dont have to get out and squeeze that

SILLY RUBBER FUEL PUMP.

Have isolated the whole plastic peugeot fuel filter and fuel lines and just run from tank right to INJECTOR PUMP viA filter.

Every service will remove and drain filter and if in doubt will replace at $10 each.

QED EXPERTS in QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA YOU SUCK with your incorrect advice and RIP OF EU PRICES AND PROFITS on PUG SPARES.

I paid my son some money for his experience and have a nice country touring car for about $2000 that does 900 km per tank and cruises at 110/ 120 km/h at 2500 rpm.

SO if you have filter fuel leak problems first fit an electric stepper fuel pump and if you have a leak any where on the top of the engine in perished hoses you will see diesle seeping out.

The addition of a fuel pump low pressure is not rocket science.

The voltage to run it comes from top of fuel stop solenoid.

Edited by Zaz on 01/05/2010 at 10:12

1997 306XTDT d8A engine - XUD9TE Plastic filter problems solved. - 659FBE

I can assure you that a correctly set up XUD does not require a separate electric lift pump. The primer bulb is put there to do just that, and has internal valves to ensure an unrestricted fuel flow through it when the engine is running. The gerotor (Bosch) or vane (Lucas) pump in the injection pump is perfectly capable of pulling the fuel out of the tank when the system is operating as specified.

Most non-start problems on XUD engines if not caused by glowplugs are due to air leaks on the inlet side of the fuel pump. These can be small enough not to leak fuel. The tubing PSA used goes hard after some time of use, and fails to seal at the joins, under the clips.