94 1.3 Can I fit 165s on a 4.5J rim? - bathtub tom
I've a couple of spare wheels I want to fit some tyres to for off-road use (autotesting and trialling). They're 4.5J.

I'll be fitting inner tubes because I'll be down to around 10PSI on occasions.

I'm getting conflicting information from local tyre fitters. They all seem to think they'll take 155s OK, but one reckoned I could get 165s on.

I'll be getting a fellow club member to fit them by hand.

Any tyre experts here who can advise please?

I'm looking at either 155/80x13 or 165/70x13.
94 1.3 Can I fit 165s on a 4.5J rim? - bell boy
depending on what came fitted at the factory as i seem to remember these had white sidewalled low profiles will more depend what you can fit as there is a possibility that the 165/80/13"s would catch on inner wings /strut tops/etc
i would be more inclined to go for the lower profile and if cost is not an option why not fit 165.65.13
as for tubes i would have thought you would be better tubeless in case the rim spins on the tyres if you are plugging offroad rather than ripping the valve stem out of the tube?
oh and
Thanks bb, but it's not quite that simple.

Well remembered that they came with whitewalls - 165/70x12 in fact.

There's only one 12" tyre I can source. I particularly wanted to keep a separate pair of wheels and tyres for off-road use and because of the odd PCD (wheel stud spacing - 4.25") I thought I was very fortunate to happen across a pair of 13" wheels that would fit. It also gives me a greater choice of tyres at much lower prices.

There's plenty of clearance so fouling's not a problem (the 155/80x13 are only 3% larger).

The reason for fitting tubes is there's far more chance of rolling a tyre off the rim at these low pressures than spinning the tyre on the rim - it's standard practice for trialling.

I just wanted to know if I could physically muscle a 165 onto a 4.5J rim and if it would cause any problems.
just did a google and this company does lots of 12 inch rubber under just tyres
www.18tyres.com/
personally i would find my local tyre wholesaler and see what he has as mines been badgering me to buy his old stock of 135/13"s for the past two years as i used to buy loads of them last century
he might be glad to do you a deal
Thanks bb.

I've bookmarked 'em.

But do you think I can muscle 165s onto a 4.5J rim?
preview.tinyurl.com/ydgqf8j

this is a kia pride i saw tonight on 13 inch rims so if i assume the rims you apertained came off a later pride then yes
94 1.3 Can I fit 165s on a 4.5J rim? - Simon
>>But do you think I can muscle 165s onto a 4.5J rim?

Yes, almost certainly.