99 2.0 Steering column jammed stuck in park! - lizgo
Just bought this car yesterday. Got it valeted this morning, put a years tax on it went to petrol station, filled it up. Went to turn ignition and nothing! Tried tapping it with a hammer, all sorts, nothing. It is in park so I cant move it. Waiting on a tow truck. I phoned Chrysler they want £200 to replace ignition barrel. Apparently its a Chrysler only part and if I was to buy it on its own they dont supply keys!! They say it has to go to be re-programmed. Am I stuffed or is there anything else I can do. My boyfriend is sitting in the car right now while I frantically look at options on tinternet.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/11/2009 at 19:12

99 2.00 Steering colum jammed stuck in park! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Sorry to ask - did you try moving the steering wheel while trying to turn the key? The key can often appear jammed but will release if the above is tried.
99 2.00 Steering colum jammed stuck in park! - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
SIL had this with her Corolla recently. She'd never actually engaged her steering lock before , so was unable to cope. Until a man (sexist comment) wiggled the wheel to take the load off the lock pin, so the key could turn freely.
99 2.00 Steering colum jammed stuck in park! - bell boy
hope you are looking after boyfriend sitting comfortably in passenger seat
we wouldnt want him to get a sweat on worrying for you would we
as said try jiggling keyand wheel at same time
maybe boyfriend could hold your handbag while you persevere? ;-)

Edited by bell boy on 10/11/2009 at 17:12

99 2.00 Steering colum jammed stuck in park! - Dynamic Dave
ok, enough of the sexist comments please. Apart from anything else, it comes across that you are ganging up on a new member (not to mention bullying). Is it any wonder why some people don't come back here with the welcome they're given. Regular members *may* well be used to your humour, but new members aren't.

DD. BR Moderator.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/11/2009 at 19:18

99 2.00 Steering colum jammed stuck in park! - MerlinTec
Hi
You can get a barrel and tumbler set. you don't need a new key you make the barrel up to the old key. lot of people on here would have done the same on fords. Hell, I will talk you step by step if you wish. call another dealer. Post the last 9 of your vin number I will give you a part number of the lock set.
99 2.0 Steering column jammed stuck in park! - lizgo
I just put the car into Chrysler - got it fixed for £152. Thanks for your replies.