Campervan - Help please - Captain Scarlet
WANTED
We are wanting to buy a used van conversion suitable for two people, spending six months travelling around Europe (April ? September).
We are novices and would welcome any advice.
What we think we know:
? 2.3litre or bigger diesel engine (fuel economy is important to us)
? Needs to be 16-21ft (want to access some more remote places)
? Probably 2001 or newer (We are told that breakdown cover is difficult/expensive to come by for vehicles over 10 years old)
? Would prefer mid kitchen (with oven) and rear lounge (so if one is lying down, the other need not disturb them if cooking and access to the cab etc is easy)
? Swivel front seat(s) (So we could sit and eat up front if the bed is made up or if we choose to)
? We have approx £23,000 for the right vehicle.
? We will be taking two bicycles.

We are happy camping and do not require luxury but do want to be comfortable for six months.
We thought that the Fiat Ducatto (Tribute, Adria or Timberland) seemed a good option but have since found forums that slate the Fiat terribly. Reverse gear ratio leading to burnt-out clutches, gearbox problems etc seem not uncommon.
We are noticing vans of about the right size such as Mercedes Sprinter and long wheel base VW?s but these don?t seem to be converted ? not sure why?. We do not have time to convert our own van.
We are back to the drawing board and are feeling we need some experienced van conversion owners to offer advice and would be grateful if anyone can spare the time to do this.
Campervan - Help please - piston power
Plenty on e bay with good pics even just to look at for ideas.

The merc sprinter is ideal and something you could build yourself quickly or get a garage to do the most of the conversion for you, a night diesel heater is a must these make great vans and the newer vw im sure is the same as the sprinter just badged different.

For that money you won't have a problem you will get a motorhome not a campervan, good luck.
Campervan - Help please - perro
Worth a read ~ tinyurl.com/yzqqqfk

Campervan - Help please - perro
I would recommend this monthly mag to you Capitan ~
www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/magazines/Default.asp?ma...4
Its where I bought & eventually sold my Hymer 544 (Merc.)