At the end of my tether with Hyundai - hyundaiwoes
Way back in July I placed an order with a Hyundai dealership for an i20 on the scrappage scheme and paid a deposit. Was told it would take roughly 6-8 weeks. Fine by me.

At the end of September the MoT on the vehicle to be scrapped would be expiring, so a week or two prior to this I rang for an update. Delays until the middle of October.

So - decision time. Risk and pay for an MoT, or take the old banger in for scrap and get the bus for a week or three. Decided to take it in for scrapping.

Middle of October, told it will now be November as I ordered a "special order option".
Quite cross now as I wasn't told at the time that this would cause a delay. Anyway, this much delay?

Approaching end of October, now told a vague "end of the year".

Furious as:

a) I have paid a deposit
b) I have scrapped my car (yes, my decision but based on getting the new one in the middle of September)
c) Requests for a courtesy car are falling on deaf ears
d) Winter is coming!

HELP!
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - bell boy
have you considered a lada?
Er, no. Don't think that would help.
just a thought as they are in trouble at the moment and need the sales
no probs mind
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - motorprop
recorded delivery letter to the dealer principal, reiterating facts as here , that they are in breach of contract. Tell them you will hire a car as you reasonably expected to drive a new one by now and that they will pay for the hire , if not it'll end in the small claims court where costs are not awarded for straight cases like this - so you can only lose your application fee

To save time , fax and / or email it Ist in view of the postal situation

Am impressed the mods haven't edited the manufacturer's name out - where is the consistency - you could be sued ???

Edited by motorprop on 23/10/2009 at 00:49

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - Lygonos
Could only be sued if he's telling porky pies.

Can't libel with the truth.
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - Armitage Shanks {p}
Having just done a scrappage deal myself and also having problems getting a car with the spec I wanted I am familiar with the problem. I was further forced into action because, I was told by the supplying garage that, from the date I said I wanted to trade in a scrapper and let them photocopy the paperwork and start the ball rolling, I had 4 months to do the deal. If I hadn't then I lost the right to get the £2000 allowance. When did the process start for your deal? From what you say you may be getting a bit close to the time limit, if it exists. My info may be wrong.
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - Bill Payer
I had 4 months to do the deal.

That's certainly stated in the rules: tinyurl.com/kmqe23

"Are there restrictions on the time allowed from ordering the vehicle to taking delivery?

Yes, the new vehicle has to be delivered within four months of the order being placed. This is because the scheme is time limited with a fixed budget. Dealers will let you know if the required vehicle cannot be delivered within this timeframe and discuss alternatives with you.

What happens if I place an order for a new car before the scheme closes, but it can?t be delivered till afterwards ? will I still get the £2,000 discount?

Yes, provided the new vehicle is delivered within four months of the order being placed, as above."

Edited by Bill Payer on 23/10/2009 at 09:44

I hadn't heard of the 4-month rule, but now I have just read about it - thanks for the link. I paid the deposit in the middle of July so it doesn't look like this is going to happen in the timescale. The thing is, they've scrapped my car (obviously wouldn't want my banger on the forecourt!) so I can't go elsewhere...
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - apple
They should provide you with a courtesy car.
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/11/2009 at 01:43

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - Altea Ego
>recorded delivery letter to the dealer principal, reiterating facts as here , that they are in >breach of contract

Err No. Nothing in the contract about guaranteed delivery dates.

Surely by taking a scrappage contract they are guaranteeing to supply within the 4-month timescale as Armitage Shanks and Bill Payer have pointed out is the rule?

Am I going to end up with a car that I didn't order and perhaps won't really want just to get it in within 4 months?

Won't most of the available stock be the basic models in the free paint colours as most people wanted the cheapest of deals?
I don't think you have a contract re the delivery date - if you have you may be OK but I wanted a particular spec of car, there wasn't one in stock there wasn't one en route and even if I had gone for a factory build in December (2 weeks off for Xmas) there was no way I could be sure of getting delivery within the 4 months. Over and above this Ford are not building this model with any factory fitted extras anyway, so I took the basic spec that I wanted, in my 3rd choice colour, fom the forecourt. I had to make decision re what I wanted to do and live with it - the dealer couldn't guarantee any delivery date and didn't.

Your dealer has taken your scrapper and the clock has started on the 4 months - what you do about it depends on the dealer's advice, you make the choice and are stuck with and if the 4 months runs out your have lost the £2000, I think

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 23/10/2009 at 14:52

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - jbif
.. if the 4 months runs out your have lost the £2000, I think >>

I think differently. The 4 month rule applies to the Government subsidy which is £1000, which means that the dealer cannot get £1000 back from the taxpayer. So the dealer should subsidise all of the £2000 or whatever the agreed discount was.

I wonder if manu i20's were sold in Gemany? You may find availability frees up dramatically now the massively successful German scheme has ended.
The rules, found at the tiny-url link above say that the new car must be delivered within 4 months of beings ordered. (I can't cut and paste the text) It doesn't say what happens to the allowance if this time limit is exceeded.
The rules, found at the tiny-url link ... >>

Are there restrictions on the time allowed from ordering the vehicle to taking delivery?

Yes, the new vehicle has to be delivered within four months of the order being placed. This is because the scheme is time limited with a fixed budget. Dealers will let you know if the required vehicle cannot be delivered within this timeframe and discuss alternatives with you.

It doesn't say what happens to the allowance if this time limit is exceeded. >>

If the deal does not meet the t&c, the £2000 scrappage Govt. deal fails. Therefore, it is a matter for the buyer and the dealer to negotiate a price. If I was the buyer, my aim should be to get £2000 off at least, i.e. to get the dealer to match or better the scrappage deal.

Edited by jbif on 23/10/2009 at 16:24

Yes, thanks. I will be discussing it with them tomorrow.
I've had to put in all the time, make all the telephone calls, etc and it's been a hassle.
Part of the reason for buying on the scrappage scheme in the first place was to have no hassle finding a buyer for the banger and so on.
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - ijws15
>recorded delivery letter to the dealer principal reiterating facts as here that they are in
>breach of contract
Err No. Nothing in the contract about guaranteed delivery dates.

>>

We don't know that, although there may be something in the small print.

What we do know is that the dealer told him roughly 6-8 weeks.

A court would take a view on how firm a delivery commitment that was and if it overrode any small print.
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - L'escargot
I assumed that the scrapping of the old car took place after it had been traded in and delivery taken of the new car. It appears that I was wrong.
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - L'escargot
I assumed that the scrapping of the old car took place after it had been
traded in and delivery taken of the new car. It appears that I was wrong.

"Do I need to wait until my new vehicle is delivered before scrapping the old vehicle?

No. The old vehicle can be scrapped at anytime after the order is placed. However, should you decide to cancel your order for the new vehicle after the old vehicle has been scrapped and a Certificate of Destruction issued you will no longer have a vehicle eligible for the scrappage scheme to trade in with another dealer."

Now I know!

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - barney100
Just shows dealers tell you anything and its you who gets the bother! Reckon we all need to get anything they promise in writing! I think they should give you a courtesy car til yopura appears.
Yes, lots of promises.

Spoke to the manager last Saturday (24/10) who promised to sort everything.

Was promised that the price quoted would be honoured on the vehicle that we ordered, regardless of them getting any money from the Government.

Was promised a courtesy car by the end of this week.

Was promised a call back on Wednesday (28/10) to arrange a time for collecting the courtesy car.

Of course, they haven?t called and when I call the manager is either not there or with another customer.
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - daveyjp
Time for a visit. Phone calls are easy to avoid, eye ball to eye ball isn't.
Thing is you are beating yourself up over a hyundai and that cant be right
basically at the moment you are not important to the dealership because of the scrappage scheme,however on the horizon the scheme is drawing to an end and then customers will then again be treated as demigods rather than mugs sat signing bits of paper at a very busy sales desk with another eager buyer stood behind you.
The new trade agreement reached between the eu and korea last week means that these cars will soon be 1000 euro cheaper to the importers so the prices once the scrappage ends will stay very much on a par so why not just mot your clunker until such times as your custom is needed
ps dont tell the other manufacturers about this information as its top secret
Bellboy - I can't MoT the clunker as they have scrapped it already! At the moment I have no car at all.
they have you then dont they
and your deposit
walk in the branch first thing in the morning and get it sorted to your satisfaction

personally i think they sold someone else your reserved car
And I have just been told that the manager isn't in this afternoon.
Well I got my 'courtesy' car, though discourtesy car might be more accurate! Still, won't complain - they are taxing it and it's their mileage and wear and tear while I continue to wait for the car I ordered...
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - bristol01
A colleague of mine ordered a Hyundai (i10 or 20 - forget which) months and months ago. She eventually got fed up and cancelled the order. Her deposit was repaid and she's now ordered an Aygo.
pleased for you hyundaiwoes
I'd like to cancel the order and get my deposit back. But they've already scrapped my 13 year old banger!
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - ijws15
SAo they would ahve to put you back in the position you were in by providing a similar car.

Has your actually been scrapped?
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - SpamCan61 {P}
SAo they would ahve to put you back in the position you were in by
providing a similar car.
Has your actually been scrapped?

It would appear so :-

"Bellboy - I can't MoT the clunker as they have scrapped it already! At the moment I have no car at all. "
Yes, already scrapped.
Under the rules you have to have owned your scrapper for a year, so if they were to give me a similar banger to take elsewhere under the scheme I would not be eligible.
Please remind me/us whether you are now bound to take delivery of your new car by a certain date? I thought there was a 4 month 'window' which started the day you entered your old car into the scheme and the delivery of its new replacement.
No, no "certain date" whatsoever.
Yes, there is a 4-month window, but that deadline is approaching fast and the new i20 will certainly not be here by then.
They have promised to honour the price agreed. I don't know how much that promise is worth.
They have given me a 100,000+ miles "courtesy" car - whether it's better than what they scrapped of mine is open to debate...

Nothing to do with the strikes;it's been in the system since on-line taxing was introduced. >>

At best, they can give him £2000 cash to take elsewhere to buy another new car.

Q. What happens if this dealer goes bust now?

If the dealer goes bust, I paid the deposit on credit card so at least I'd get that back.

Losing the banger, well it was worth next to nothing - but was a pretty cheap car to run and maintain - last 2 MoTs cost next to nothing and how many people running 13-year old cars can say that?
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - idle_chatterer
I appreciate nuances like the VAT / Car tax on a new car offsets the scrappage scheme payment and generates revenue for the exchequer but am I alone in resenting my (taxpayer) money going to Korea ?

Especially as I generally run fairly new cars and so cannot benefit (an emotional response, could be jealousy) and I don't see that the motor retail industry is as deserving as others as it doesn't create economic value like manufacturing and even (ahem) financial services do ?
if you had watched dom littlewood on the one show last night you would have wanted to put a shoe in the screen when he said it benefitted all the motor trade
it certainly hasnt helped me
if you had watched dom littlewood on the one show last night ...

He also said Jan is busy as the 10 registration comes in then!
Well yes, but it's supporting jobs here too. At the ports when they're imported, the dealerships etc. And presumably they have to pay import duty to the Exchequer?
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - mje42
Why not not see they can supply an i30 instead they get get here a lot quicker from the czeck factory, not much more money but a lot more kit I'm pleased with mine anyway.
Anyway, finally got the vehicle last week.
Pleased with the car, but never again...
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - alex
In today's www.motortrader.com a news item reveals how long potential customers are having to wait for certain Hyundai models.
Tony Whitehorn. MD of Hyundai UK, admits that Hyundai customers have been forced to wait up to four months for deliveries of i10 and i20 models due to demand created by the scrappage scheme.
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - Jcoventry
I wonder what made Hyundai the top of everyone's list? What's so good about them? Some spike in quality of these cars that I don't know about? Or is it just because they are cheap?
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - diddy1234
Jcoventry, I would imagine cheap and also length of the warranty on these cars.

The Korean manufacturers must be doing something right as they seem to be doing very well in the recession so far.
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - stunorthants26
I imagine it is because the scrappage scheme attracts private money which is often spent with more long term thoughts in mind - perhaps alot of retire or nearing retirement folk use the scheme to get a nice retirement car - my dad did just this with his Materia which comes with 5 year warranty - he wouldnt look at anything with anything less than 5 years as he intends to keep it indefinately, so wanted a car that the manufacturer had long term confidence in.
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - J500ANT
With the scrappage scheme we put £8k Hyundai's way, and got an i30 1.4 Comfort. This was the base model (but in name only). It comes with alloys, aircon, abs/esp, 4 electric windows, central locking/alarm etc etc. A massive spec for the price we paid, and its just been in today for its 10k service, its not missed one beat since we got it in July. I had never considered a Hyundai before, my sister in law had an Accent coupe thing and it was nasty with a capital N.

The i30 is as good as all the other cars in its class, and a pink fluffy dice sight better value. Its also a Which? best buy, which is more than can be said for the Golf/Focus/Mazda3.
At the end of my tether with Hyundai - Emma M

I ordered a Hyundai i20 in December last year. They said I would recieve it early March at the latest. It's now July and the dealership and Hyundai head office still can't give me a date for delivery. I've been provided with a courtesy car as mine (part of the sc***page scheme) stopped working. I'm now on a 3rd courtesy car due to the original Hyundai being sold, this was replaced with a T reg micra and now I have a 5 year old Diahatsu with very little power and heavy on petrol. If I'd realised that the delays and inconvenience were in the pipline, I would have gone for a different sc***page scheme.

Hyundai refuse to take any responsibility for the delay and have offered me car mats, a tank of petrol (the garage already owes me £20 of petrol) and a free service. It's getting closer and closer to the change of number plates and still no satisfactory response.

I've been paying car tax on a car that has sat in a garage since April and Hyundai haven't responded to my last letter which was sent recorded delivery.

The car srappage scheme has now stopped and if I was to go to a different garage I wouldn't have the £2000 discount so feel that I have no choice but to wait. This is the first time I've tried to buy a new car and the expereince has been very frustrating with no date of it being resolved! Please advise.

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - jc2

Not on a sc***page deal but I ordered a new car,not from stock,a unique build and was given a delivery date.The date came,I was told my car had been built but had not been delivered to the dealer;they told me to hang on to my current car but stop making any further payments on it(just terminate the HP agreement).The car finally turned up three months later and I signed a new agreement.It was a Ford.

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - daveyK_UK

Maybe your Hyundai is on the hyundai/kia shipment due early August?

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - Glenn 42

The i10 was in the top 5 best sellers when the sc***page scheme was at its height and I would say the i20, which has replaced the Getz, is probably in short supply both because of the sc***page scheme and Getz owners trading their cars in for the new model. From past experience Hyundai dealers are normally very good and there is no small print in the warranty.

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - Talking Hoarse

I abandoned my order for a sc***page i10 late last year, as I couldnt wait any longer. However the dealer gave deposit back no problem, and I bought a Corsa instead that was a good deal then.

Anyway - next car replaced was with a new i30 diesel auto, factory fresh in very latest "2011" spec and ordered for me via a broker. They quoted 8-12 weeks delivery, but mine came in about 4 weeks.

Maybe the issue is with the Hyundai factories as I believe that the I10's are Indian, but the UK i30's Czech. I dont know about i20's though.

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - Glenn 42

I do believe they have a factory in Slovenia to top up production from South Korea. This could be the one Kias are made in.

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - Auristocrat

The i20 is built in India for the markets in Asia, and the i20 is built in Turkey for the European markets. The plant in Czechoslovakia builds the i30.

The Kia plant in Slovakia builds the Cee'd, Procee'd, and Venga

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - johnnyrev

I ordered a new Fiat Doblo in March. It has now arrived, but would have quicker but for a Qubo which turned up at the dealer with my name on it so the dealer had to re-order!

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - bintang

I haven't read the whole thread but hyundai woes could wangle a swop for an i30, with a big discount for the inconvenience.Judging from mine, it should last him a long time (but avoid big wheels).

I think that's what the origional message should have read. Boris

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 08/07/2010 at 16:17

At the end of my tether with Hyundai - oilrag

Sorry about that software issue Bintang - Avant`s reported it to the site developer.

oilrag