Petrol additive - nick62
I need a good (cost not important) additive for unleaded petrol to stop it "going-off" when I don't use my bike for any period of time.

The worst problem is when it evaporates in the float bowls of the carbs. (after a particularly long lay-off) and leaves a horrible green sticky gunge everywhere, especially in the very small jets of a four carburettor bike.

Allsuggesstions welcomed, bus as stated before, performance of the product is the only factor I'm interested in.

P.S. It is a nightmare to have to drain the carbs after every use of the bike.

P.P.S. I tried to post this in "Technical Matters", but it wont let me as I didn't want to make it manufacturer specific
Petrol additive - mark999
You need some fuel stabiliser. Try your local bike shop or google for it. I used some on my Virago a few years ago. Don't forget to run the engine for a while after sdding it to your tank.
Mark
Petrol additive - Dynamic Dave
P.P.S. I tried to post this in "Technical Matters" but it wont let me as I didn't want to make it manufacturer specific

As per the sticky post When Posting A New Question To Technical Matters

"If your question is general rather than specifically about make/model, year/engine, then fill in the boxes anyway, BUT indicate in the subject line that it is a general question by entering "General Question" (along with the question you want to ask) and a moderator will edit the post shortly afterwards to remove make/model, & year/engine details."

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/09/2009 at 23:54

Petrol additive - 547HEW
I think Yamaha dealers still sell a suitable product (they did aprox 10 yrs ago). I think its used a lot in the outboard motor boat engine market, so that's another source.
Petrol additive - datostar
I think Yamaha dealers still sell a suitable product (they did aprox 10 yrs ago).
I think its used a lot in the outboard motor boat engine market so that's
another source.

Or a lawnmower place. They tend to spend winter out of use and can get gummed up without the additive.