DCI engines 05-07 - Good buy or runaway ?? - nctest
I've seen endless threads detailing horror stories on the apparent design flaws causing turbo failure (or turbo + engine failure) affecting earlier versions of Renault DCI engine. Apparently it's not uncommon for the turbo's to feed off the engine oil and ultimately rev itself to bits.

Can anybody tell if these turbo issues have been rectified on later cars?

I've seen several Megane/Scenic DCI's (1.5) in the classifieds and their asking prices are very tempting. More specifically the cars I'm looking at are 2005-07 model year range.

Cars in this age bracket - will they still land me with big repair bills? If the engines have been rectified are there other area's of the car that I should be concerned with - I'm told electrics are a bit iffy also??

BUY or RUNAWAY - Any thoughts!!

thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 23/07/2009 at 00:54

Renault DCI 2005-2007 - BUY or RUN?? - the swiss tony
Its a Renault.... RUN!

BTW, Renault is French for moneypit.
Renault DCI 2005-2007 - BUY or RUN?? - perro
I had one for the day when I took my wyfes Clio in for a service and I really, really liked it (and I don't do diesels) but ... I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole because of their reliability issues which is a shame because they are good cars IMO.
Renault DCI 2005-2007 - BUY or RUN?? - mrnikko
Our company has run a couple of these engines and cars with no apparent problems.
I think the general opinion is keep away from diesel Renaults from 2000 to 2004 after that quality improved.
Renault DCI 2005-2007 - BUY or RUN?? - DP
We had a 2004 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi which, engine wise, was a peach. Just so beautifully smooth, quiet, and so "un diesel-like". I still haven't driven another four pot which can touch it for sheer refinement, and that includes the current 2.0d BMW engine, the Honda CDTi and the Ford / PSA 2.0 TDCi. Up to 63,000 miles when we parted with the car, the engine needed nothing other than routine servicing and a couple of glowplugs. Never needed oil top ups, and did >40 mpg, even in 1500kg of MPV.

The problem with this Renault was that it got to 60,000 miles and everything else started failing or falling to bits. The final straw was a £1,000 bill for a sudden, catastrophic failure of the concentric slave cylinder in the clutch. The PAS was also playing up, there was a random "STOP" warning coming up the dash, the heater blower was only working when it felt like it, the sunroof was whistling at speed, and various bits of interior trim were falling off. We moved it on while it was still worth something.

Nice car to own though, don't get me wrong. Renault do ride comfort, airy practical interiors, and sheer long legged effortlessness in a way you will never find on a German car at any price.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 23/07/2009 at 09:41

Renault DCI 2005-2007 - BUY or RUN?? - pd
The engines are generally OK - the ones which gave the major problems were the pre-2004 model year F9Q 1.9dci's which are guarenteed to go pop.

However, it tends to be the other bits and bobs - trim, electrics etc. - which do not stand up to time or mileage.