Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - lucklesspedestrian
Hi again

Inevitably we've decided against going for the sporty option and instead are going to buy a modern practical, safe car mainly for swmbo.

The back pay has finally arrived in the bank so we're off out on Sunday to at least test drive but probably buy.

It's came down to two likely cars both in the same dealers:

1st is a 2006 Focus hatch 1.6 115bhp Zetec petrol with climate pack in a nice shiney black on about 25K miles for a shade over 6K

2nd (don't laugh please!) is 2007 Megane Saloon (more room in the back see!) Dynamique, this time it's the dCi 105 bhp diesel, again low miles and about 6.5K.

Obviously we have to drive them both. The only thing I'm woried about in the focus is the horror stories re road/tyre noise.

The Megane, the engine sounds a cracker, but inevitably I'm worried about reliability.
It's obviously at 2007 a face-lift model and I've read that the reliability is much improved.

What would you go for?

(I'm basically expecting a volley of replies shouting "the focus you muppet!")

Cheers

Steve

Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Alby Back
T.F.Y.M. !!!!!
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - L'escargot
Obviously we have to drive them both. The only thing I'm woried about in the
focus is the horror stories re road/tyre noise.

I'm on my second Focus (admittedly both MK I) and I haven't got any complaints about road noise. In fact I haven't got any complaints at all.

Make sure the tyre pressures are correct on any car that you test drive. Handling can be ruined by incorrect tyre pressures.

Edited by L'escargot on 02/05/2009 at 11:25

Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - oilrag
"In fact I haven't got any complaints at all."

Your rusting sump just heaved a sigh of relief.....;-)
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - L'escargot
Your rusting sump just heaved a sigh of relief.....;-)

Rusting but still no sign of a leak. In hindsight I think the dealer's fitter was being a bit ovezealous in bringing it to my attention.
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - DP
Road noise was a big let down on my old mk1 Focus estate. This car was coincidentally changed for a Megane 1.5dCi Sport Tourer (estate), and the refinement of the Renault was in a different league.

You need to be very brave to run a Renault outside its warranty period though, and especially to keep one into old age. They are incredibly (unnecessarily IMO) complex cars which are prone to niggling faults, the cost of which can quickly add up. They are nice cars though. Not as "sharp" as the Focus, but quieter, smoother and much more comfortable. Diesel engines in a different league too.

I suspect the Focus will give you much less trouble as it ages though. Drive both and see what you think.
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - bell boy
you must live in a right one horse town if choice of dealer is 1
suggest the aftersales is as important as the dotted line
look round the back to see if their repair area looks clean and tidy with a good care attitude
remember to get a water tight warranty that means something
dont like that reno diesel engine not interested sorry
reno has better suspension to iron out the bumps though
3 years from now your focus will still have a value
one horse town...eh?

the cars are actually in another city 50 miles way, just coincidentally after scanning autotrader for a 60 miles radius the two cars which ticked all the boxes (potentially) were in the same garage.

I agree though that the aftersales/warranty is a consideration (esp with the Renault by the sound of things!)

thanks all for the replies so far
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - ifithelps
Tyre roar on Focuses isn't that bad, but seems to vary from car-to-car and tyre-to-tyre.

Let's hope the one you are test driving is one of the quieter ones.

Focuses handle like a dream, but at the expense of a hardish ride, so I expect the Renault will be the more comfy option.

DP (above) knows more about Renaults than I do, but all the evidence does seem to suggest the Focus is the more reliable car.
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Pugugly
Ford.
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Old Navy
Focus.
Zetec
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Alby Back
Bored perchance ?

;-)

Yawn :-o !
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - the swiss tony
Focus if you like driving

Megane if your good friends with the AA man.........
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - EoinM
Focus, the road noise is nowhere near as bad as people say, that engine is a peach of a unit (and rumoured to be producing more than its stated 113 brake) and it really is a lovely steer. The ride on the zetec isn't that bad either, firm yes but you wont be thrown about the place. The Megane would be a big no no for me outside warranty period. That engine is great but it's a pity the rest of the car cant match it
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Waino
This month, my wife celebrates 5 years with her 1.6 Focus Chic (52 reg) - which I think is basically a Mk1 face-lift Zetec. It's a great car and we can think of absolutely no good reason to change it.

I was, at first, disappointed by degree of the tyre noise - but this was much improved when we changed from P6000s to ContiPremiumContact 2s. The only other gripe might be that the paint's a bit thin - although there is no sign of any rust.

It sticks to the road like glue and the 1.6 engine is quite perky enough. It'll do 44mpg on a run though, of course, this is significantly lowered by short runs.

Showing a distict lack of imagination (and common sense!), I am even considering replacing the ancient Mondy estate ......... with a Focus estate.
Showing a distict lack of imagination (and common sense!) I am even considering replacing the ancient Mondy estate ......... with a Focus estate. >>

Oops - just re-read this .... and what I meant was "Showing common sense, but a distinct lack of imagination .........."
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Avant
I would think you could still combine fun with practicality and look for a Focus with a bigger engine (1.6 or 2.0 petrol or diesel depending on your annual mileage). There should be lots around, possibly nearer home.

Edited by Avant on 02/05/2009 at 19:13

Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - whoopwhoop
Driven plenty of Focii and never noticed tyre noise to be particularly bad. What "horror stories" have you been reading?

Focus is a "what it says on the tin" car. It won't give you any nasty surprises and it'll be loyal, predictable and a tiny bit dull. Bit like a Labrador. Only it'll make vroom vroom noises rather than woof woof, obviously.

Renault is great if you like.... erm.... walking.

Edited by whoopwhoop on 02/05/2009 at 21:01

Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Chrome
Anyone here know if the 1.6 petrol Focus 2 or 3 is fitted with a DMF?
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - captain chaos
Ford Focus if you want to keep it longer than the warranty period
Renault if you're one of the back room millionaires ;-)
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Happy Blue!
A few years ago I rented two Mk 1 Focus diesels about nine months apart. The first was the TDDi and the second TDCi. They were both very good cars and I had nothing but praise for both of them.
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - DP
I should add that after moaning about the tyre noise on my mk1 (a 1.8 TDDi LX), I did put 99,000 miles on it in three years, beat the living daylights out of it, and it needed nothing other than routine servicing, bulbs, tyres, and a tensioner for the auxiliary belt at around 60k. The most reliable car I have ever known.

A friend has a 2.0 Ghia estate on a 52 reg and I only realised the other day that it has 175,000 miles on the clock. As a passenger, you wouldn't have a clue.
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Neilly
I'm on my 2nd Megane. 1st was a 1.6 Dynamique hatchback and now a 1.6 Dynamique saloon. I like the saloon for its massive boot and loads of rear legroom. Also you don't see many about so something a bit different really.
Reliability had been excellent on both cars. No problems to speak of. Not tried any diesel engines but assume they are good.
What did you decide then, luckless???
Went through to Glasgow to see the Focus yesterday and didn't like it from the off.

Alloys had chunks out of them, one wheel had been replaced, the rear bumper was loose, when I measured the gap between the front wheel/tyre forwards to the wheel arch with my fingers, the gap was different on each side with the wheels dead ahead (suspension damage?) , The paint was coming off the trim around the gear change inside the car, the plastic trim at the bottom of the front windscreen was also peeling away for some strange reason...and (minor point I know) all the exterior plastic trim was marked with white polish residue.

Having read this forum for some time, I've had it drummed into me that the golden rule of used car buying is 'if it doesn't feel right, walk away, there's plenty more out there'

This one didn't so I did!

Thankfully I've also seen sense with the Megane idea so that's now off the radar.

Maybe it's a sign of getting older but I no longer enjoy buying a car like I used to and actually find it quite stressful. Firstly there's the drive to an obscure part of a city you don't really know, getting lost, why do garage forecourts insist on blaring music out from crappy pa speakers when all you want to do is gather your thoughts and concentrate on the car you're looking at. There's then the test drive where because it's a strange city and you've no idea where you are, you concentrate so much on the roads you don't have the spare capacity to think about the car you're driving. Then there's the really big anxiety about 'have I made the right decision' i.e. the inevitable trade-offs between looks and practicality, reliability and safety, price and reliability etc etc.

The problem with buying locally here in Perth is that cars are on average 15% more expensive than they are through in Glasgow or the central belt.

Still, day off today so once more unto the breech. Might look at another focus but to be honest we've seen a 2008 Peugeot 308 1.6s with only 4K on it in Fife for £7998. SWMBO likes the looks more than the Focus, the cabin is more appealing than the Focus and the reviews seem to be okay ( I suppose it's a bit early for faults to become apparent other than general caution re Peugeots).

keep you posted!

Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - bell boy
You seem to know your onions why not go to auction and buy from a reputable seller like a bank or similar
reason for loud music is to get you to make a quick decision and buy two for one ;-)
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Roly93
My choice in order of preference would be 1) Focus 2) Focus 3) Focus.
Weve had a 1.6 petrol Focus fopr 5 years and its been a tremendous car.
Ok the road noise is greater than my newish A4 Avant, but it is not bad. Ours had Goodyear NCTs all round and these tyres seem to suit the car well in this respect.
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - Alanovich
I saw the best possible advert for the Ford Focus last Friday.

Entering the A3290 from the A4 at Suttons Seeds in Reading to head towards Bracknell, the road passes through a deep cutting which is lined with a concrete cliff of a retaining wall on the left of the carriageway, just beyond the hard shoulder. As I passed this point, I saw the remains of a Focus which had evidently lost grip and had slammed in to the wall, front on.

The front of the car was missing, and the engine bay a completely mangled wreck. The driver's side front tyre was shredded, perhaps the cause of the accident, perhaps a consequence.

The drivers door was open, and in the drivers seat sat an apparently unharmed lady. Speaking on her mobile phone, with deflated air bag across her knees.

I hope my family's cars stand up so well (should they need to) to what must have been a high speed impact against an immovable object.
Buying new car this W/E last min advice! - woodster
Slightly off-thread I know, but we have a brand new 1.8 Diesel Focus at work. Knowing how good they can be I was looking forward to driving it and seeing how it felt. Fairly dreadful, to my surprise, and all down to the engine I think. The initial press of the throttle seems to elicit different responses at different times - sometimes the first half inch does nothing, other times just right for pulling away. Trouble is, you don't know what you're going to get so you have to sit at a junction revving and ready to go when a gap arrives. 30mph in third at about 2000rpm would normally be fine for holding that speed without labouring in fourth but elicits a dreadful jerky flat spot unlike any other Diesel I've driven. I don't mean the flat spot off-boost, which wouldn't be evident at 2000 rpm anyway. I don't intend to go into that Golf versus Focus debate, but my early '05 Golf with 85K is a far superior installation of engine and feels more solid in build. I like the handling and overall package of the Focus but it's not hard to see why a Golf (even a slightly older one) might be preferable.