Dealers not interested in sales!! - k9dan
I know you won't believe this in a buyers market, sales slowdown etc etc, Lady friend went to dealer to BUY a Mazda 6 delivery miles pre reg, no trade in. Treated by the sales staff like a leper, make a meek enquiry for a discount on sticker price with no trade, and was laughed out the place. She is now fed up and decided to keep her old car. An easy sale lost, unbelievable in this financial climate. Yes the car is still sitting on the car lot, but cause the way she was treated wouldn't take it if they gave her it for free. Manufacturers and dealers can't complain about sales while they continue to do this.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - stunorthants26
So phone Mazda and ask them if they have any polite dealers.
When I had problems with a dealer once, I rang the customer hotline asking for details of an alternative dealer.
They enquired as to why and rang the dealer there and then - I was then told that they would be contacting me that day to better assist me with my enquiry.
If you appoint dealers, agents for your product, it smarts a little to hear that they are turning customers off by their actions, so they do often care.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - midlifecrisis
Friend had the same experience buying a Mitsibushi crew cab pick-up for his business. Cash in pocket (and a repeat customer) total lack of interest.

Rang Mitsibushi and subsequently got a grovelling phone call from dealer.

He bought a fleet of Nissan's instead.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - Vansboy
Best check to see if these deals are any better, that HJ posted a few days ago....

preview.tinyurl.com/cqu3gd

VB
Dealers not interested in sales!! - vulcan7
Sorry she had a bad experience

Sad to say that has happened to most of us at one time or another.

Tell her to look for a smaller family run Mazda dealer, there are some left thank goodness and she will get the service she deserves and a deal to match !
Dealers not interested in sales!! - Lygonos
As I mentioned in another thread, I never deal with sales monkeys nowadays - I go straight to the dealer principal and if he isn't interested (which has never happened) then I'd certainly be heading elsewhere.

Make a final and best offer, ask if he wants to phone back - usually deal is done there and then. He knows what can/can't be done and generally won't give you the week long mess-around to get a good price that some monkeys enjoy.

Edited by Lygonos on 04/02/2009 at 23:31

Dealers not interested in sales!! - smokie
@ Lygonos - I find your attitude quite offensive, and if I was a salesman, whether a "monkey" or a principal, I would probably decline to sell to you. But you have an advantage over me , in that you obviously you know that you are always right and that the "monkeys" are always wrong. How clever you are.

So, while that's a personal view, as a moderator I'm requesting you to refrain from derogatory references which other Backroom members may also find offensive.

Edited by smokie on 05/02/2009 at 09:02

Apologies Smokie. I'm too used to forums (fora?) where rudeness is the norm for the banter.

Too many dealings with some of the employees of a well known Scottish based chain, and I often unfairly tar other dealers with the same low-standards brush. Most professionals in any business are exactly that - professional.

/stands in corner.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - turbo11
If not too far from where your lady friend lives, I would recommend Aylesbury Mazda(where I purchased my 6 from).Very curteous and friendly staff.Whilst purchasing an oil filter the other day I admired a newly delivered 5 on their forecourt.The manager tossed me the keys and said "take her for a spin".Which I duly did. Don't tar all dealerships with the same brush.They are all as different as chalk and cheese.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - retgwte
in the last week ive emailed about 12 dealers asking for price on new model, precise model specified, easy query

how many replied? 2

yes 2

now i will be going to talk to these 2, and 1 of them will end up with my switch card number as the money is sitting in the bank

what are the other 10 dealers up to in this day and age?

Dealers not interested in sales!! - Mr X
It's not just car dealers. I've emailed two sets of details to two insurance companies seeking quotes for a 3 vehicle policy with two named drivers. Not a peep from either of them. Now they choose to operate on the web and provide forms for filling in and sending via that medium so why don't they respond. ?
Dealers not interested in sales!! - tawse
There is a great family run Mazda dealership near Carmarthen that virtually every Mazda owner I now in South Wales has travelled up to 60 miles to buy from as they basically treat you like a customer and look after you as they should.

I have no connection with them I hasten to add.

I have to say today that if I was buying new I would go via the net and use someone like carfile or drivethedeal. Or if I was buying a Ford or Vauxhall I would consider someone like Motorpoint.

Dealers not interested in sales!! - BobbyG
Tawse, I think you make a couple of good points there.
We all know of family dealerships, either still current or most likely in the past that provided a greater service but were outnumbered by the bigger dealers who, in most cases, could offer better deals through their buying power.

Now these dealers are being outbid by people wanting to buy from the net, from someone with limited overheads and thus can push tight prices (yes I know some eventually are supplied through the dealer)

The future is bleak for the small family operations, nowadays many buyers put price before service. With new cars sometimes being 2 years between services, does the customer service of the dealer really matter? You will only find out if it comes to a warranty claim etc!
"many buyers put price before service."
That might be because so many have been had over in the past when the promised " service " failed to materialise once the dealer had safely banked the cash. It's amazing that the sales person who wanted to be your friend during the deal can't even look you in the eye when you return with yet another warranty claim yet alone get involved in helping you sort it out.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - DP
I know an excellent (family run) Mazda dealer in the Surrey area as well which I would thoroughly recommend based on a buying and ownership experience a couple of years ago.

A call to the manufacturer is always worthwhile as was suggested above.

I've been in the car trade, and dealer principals don't talk to punters!
Thanks everyone for the replies, the motor was an 08 reg 1.8s Mazda 6, with delivery mileage, sticker price at £12995. She would probably have jumped at it with a small discount. I would have stuck out for £9995, she is now very interested in the HJ deal from UK car discount at £12062 brand new for a new 09 plate. Hence I thought £9995 for the dealer one was fair to both sides with no trade in. Looking at it too in the photo it's a nice sunny day leaves on trees etc, so it's been in stock for ages. Crazy dealership, especially in this financial climate. No doubt they will bemoan lack of sales when they go bust soon, (which they must if they won't sell stock). Another friend just bought a new Mazda 3, while having some small talk with the salesman, said the Mazda 2 and 3 were selling well but no interest in the 6 hence they were stockpiling them (different dealer).
Dealers not interested in sales!! - tawse
Do you think you would have got 3K off the price off a 13K car - just asking as I am curious as to what others would expect you to be able to haggle off.

I am asking bearing in mind my experience with my local Honda dealer a few weeks back who would only reduce a CRV by £500 and admitted the same car was already 1K cheaper 40 miles up the road. Must try and get a salesman who wears long trousers next time.

Have you considered the new Mazda diesel?
In short yes, it's second hand already registered, and now an old plate I thought £9995 without a trade is fair, it means a stock reduction for them with no car to put throught the trade or have to valet, warranty cover, and sell. Also new 09 reg available for 12K. I would have expected them to wave their arms in the air, can't do that etc, but they could, there is enough profit in it for them.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - lakelad
I recently bought a Mazda 3 from Tyne Mills Motor Co in Hexham (Northumberland) which is a family owned Mazda dealer. I have never dealt with a better dealer. First class in every way and a price only slightly more than Drive the Deal.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - JasonV
Your friend's experience is pretty typical of the poor customer service which seems to pervade many dealerships. I've been into several recently and the staff are always too 'busy' on their computers to come over and speak to me. I'd love to know what ALL of the staff in the dealerships I've been into are doing on their computers but given the current economic climate and their lack of interest in making a sale I'd hope they're getting their CV's in order ready to look for a new job when their current employer closes down. Without naming and shaming I would summarise the attitude of the dealerships I've been into as:

Audi - Total disinterest. Even though I'd taken the time to go into the showroom and went to talk to a salesman all he did was give me some brochures and then basically went back to his computer. When I called them a few days later with an enquiry I spoke to a different person who told me about some good deals (which the guy in the showroom never even mentioned) and then said he would check stock and call me back. 10 days later and I'm still waiting for that call. Verdict: Lazy.

VW - I found the salesman really aggressive and he was pretty much demanding that I place an order there and then without even taking a test drive. Verdict: delusional.

BMW - Friendly staff and organised a test drive but definitely had the attitude that the sticker price was the price you pay. This 'take or leave it'attitude might have worked when times were good but I suspect many people now are looking for a bit of flexibility in price. Verdict: need a reality check.

Overall, I think the dealers that I visited are stuck in the past and are not used to being proactive - more of an order taking culture than real salesmanship. When I've been in with my wife they totally ignore her which is pretty unbelievable when you consider just how much influence your other half has on any major purchasing decision. It's time these dealers raised their game or pretty soon they will be out of it all together.

About 6 years ago, my other half who has a good deal more money than me and her own successful business, turned up at a Merc dealership to collect her brand new E 220 CDi. She came out of work mid day and full of excitement bowled in to the showroom. The sales person she had been dealing with was not there but she been given another name.
After 20 minutes standing around, she managed to get the attention of some one who summoned the named person. " I'm with another customer at present- could you come back later "
If she hadn't all ready seen to the transfer of the money in full, they would still be sitting there with the car. Sorry, but I am of the belief that a lot of dealerships are now reaping what they have sown, brought about earlier than they might have expected by the present recession.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - stunorthants26
My experience of my Daihatsu dealer has been such a stark contrast to the 'prestige' brand experience.
I go in, they know my name from over a year ago, the sales process happens in whatever order I want - want to talk money first, they will, test drive first, no probs, poke around the one in the showroom, take as long as you like or take a borhcure and pop back if you want to know more.

Deals? Sure, happy to be pushed down, not a scowl to be seen.

I honestly dont recognise this attitude I keep hearing about at other dealers - its alien to me, but then it would bother me if I was treated in such a terrible way.

As for the monkeys comment - I worked with a sales team at a large dealer and not one of them was evolved much past the primate stage. It is quite likely that these bad salespeople you come across are somewhat worse behind the scenes, usually with a suitably degrading nickname.
Of course there are some good ones, but they are rare.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - Andrew-T
Jason - you seem to be fixated on German marques. Might that be part of the problem?
Dealers not interested in sales!! - loskie
Bought our ex demp MX5 last June from Murray Mazda in Edinburgh. We just turned up unannounced about a half hour before closing and were treated very well. They went to great lengths to dig the car out of the many on the forecourt and gave us both an accompanied drive.
Did the deal by e mail that week and picked up the car the following weekend.
We were greeted by the sales man, given coffee, inspected the car which was meant to be half full of petrol, it wasn't so he happily jumped in it and went to fill it up. Talked through all the docs and on our way.
We were buying for cash with no trade in and never once felt under pressure, not even to buy the extra Suraguard and warranties.
I have not used any afterservice as we are 90m away so cannot comment on that.
Reason for visiting at last minute was due to visiting car at Peebles dealer and unable to agree on sensible price, although to their great credit they just photocopied our licence and gave us the MX5 to drive around in all morning unaccompanied so again a pretty positive experience from a Mazda dealer.
Again I sent e mails to various Mazda dealers via their used/approved site and got no response. I asked one dealer in Hexham why no response he told me that most the leads from e mail aren't very strong or spam so tend to prefer potential customers to phone. Maybe he should address his policy.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - brettmick
Last Saturday I went to our local Audi dealer to look over the A3. I spoke with a decent salesman who went over certain details, probed how serious we were, made some suggestions and promised a phone call back on Monday.

We ended up going back in Monday before he rang us. He took us out on a test drive before we had even sat down and we didn't even show licenses.

We then started price negotiations. I had spent the weekend doing my research and looking at alternatives (Seat Leon FR, Golf, Lexus IS, 9-3 TTid, Alfa 159). I started him at the autobytel etc price that I had from the Internet. With the extras he came within £70 of the best price, chucked in a boot liner and some other small bits and did a the Audi PCP at 5% APR.

Three years ago I bought a year old Saab 9-3 diesel with 7k miles up. The car has done 70k miles and been spot on, except for the dealers. Two main dealers didn't want to sell me a car and then the ones who did get the sale couldn't prepare it (someones dinner on/in the passenger seat) or do a service properly. I was saved going mad by a local independent who is brilliant. I would have kept the car and paid the final PCP payment on the strength of the local independent, but the car is worth less that the GFV so I voluntarily terminated the agreement last week to save the last 4 months of payments.

I tend to find salesmen don't take me seriously first time around. Maybe I am not as sharp a dresser as my salary might suggest or I look a little young for my years. Just over ten years ago a Renault salesman lost a brand new Clio sale when they considered me and my Mrs timewasters.

I tend to find salesmen don't take me seriously first time around. Maybe I am not as sharp a dresser as my salary might suggest or I look a little young for my years <<

This hits the nail on the head for many salesmen in any business, not just car sales. When they have stiff targets, they try to guess who looks capable of buying and focus their attention on them. Go past any mobile phone shop (why we need 6 or 7 on any high street is beyond me...) and you can see the gelled-up fringed chaps and chappesses trying to stalk those who they think can get a credit contract.

In my experience most of the guys I know who have plenty of wedge tend to dress like tramp-o-Claus when they aren't at work (myself included). They too have mentioned feeling pre-judged when trying to look at cars. even though some of them could write cheques for the stock on the forecourt (even more so now that cars are worth shiny buttons!)
Dealers not interested in sales!! - DP
Maybe I am not as sharp a dresser as my salary might suggest or I look a little
young for my years

An acquaintance of mine in my twenties had a wealthy father who would buy him a new car every couple of years. This happened to him so often that the first thing he would do in his spanking new car on taking delivery was to drive it to the dealer who'd not taken him seriously, find the salesman who'd refused to assist him, and show him he'd just lost a sale. Attitudes varied between indifference, and blank shock.

I worked in retail long enough to know never to judge a book by its cover. The guy who gave me my biggest commission earning ever looked like he'd slept in a hedge. Turns out he was actually a Lord and when I went to his house to return the wallet that had fallen out of his pocket on the test drive, it was a massive country manor complete with gravel drive and butler (yes, really!) He was an absolute joy to deal with too.
the first thing he would do in his spanking new car on taking delivery was to drive it to the dealer who'd not taken him seriously, find the salesman who'd refused to assist him, and show him he'd just lost a sale. Attitudes varied between indifference, and blank shock <<

Sounds typical behaviour for a spoilt brat to me ;-)
Dealers not interested in sales!! - jag
been to 4 dealers lately, 1 vw, 1 toyota in aberdeen and the same in dundee.
all sales men were helpful,polite and keen to give test drives and quote for my business. jag.
Dealers not interested in sales!! - redviper
I walked round my local Renault dealership looking at the new Laguna's

I was wearing my usual casual dress (Jeans - T-Shirt) I wasnt even acknowledged. and i spent 20 min on the forecourt looking inside new laguna's

A 6 (or so) months ago while my Astra was in my Local Vauxhall Dealer for a service (again usual casual dress) again I may as well have not existed while i was looking round the Vectra's, and the same went when I stood at the reception desk to book my car in ( a very
unsintrested recoptionist dealt with my service booking)

2 Months ago I went to my local and very trusted indiependant car dealer and Garage, to have a look around at what they had in as soon as i walked onto the forcort, the owner new who i was came up to me , and said "any car you want to look at, just let me know and ill get the keys for you" I had a look around and had a very intreting chat with the head mechanic about the car in question - the only thing that stops me buying at the moment is I cannot afford one, but if I could of that day i would have walked off having just purchased a 3 months old top of the range Vectra that looked awesome! and was imacualte in everway.

Dealers not interested in sales!! - apm
I've related my poor experience of a previously loved SEAT dealer in another thread- suffice to say I won't be back there. Recent dealings with Lexus, Toyota and a couple of Volvo have been pretty good. Volvo in particular seem to hit that balance between helping you and leaving you to it- partly why we're spending a large sum with them.

Cheers,

Alex.