Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - old tom
Allowed a person to borrow my car on the understanding he had own insurance to drive another car. Had accident, found out he was only a named driver on his brothers policy and was not covered. The accident was his fault and the other party are claiming against me, my insurance will not accept any claim because i was not driving the car. I have lost my car, it was a write off. Am i liable for the other party claim?

Edited by rtj70 on 07/01/2009 at 00:07

Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - rtj70
He was not on your insurance so how can they claim against you.

The other driver (friend) is likely to be done for driving without insurance (6-9 points and a reasonably big fine). If you knew they were not insured you might get the same....

Best of luck.

Edited by rtj70 on 07/01/2009 at 00:08

Thanks, he was a friend but unfortunately a convincing story teller
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - rtj70
>>convincing story teller

So you should be fine. Sounds like you may have to lose a friend.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - Ian (Cape Town)
Sounds bad - in fact, you have the option of suing him to get your car fixed/replaced.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - Andrew-T
>He was not on your insurance so how can they claim against you.

Presumably because of the vehicle responsible, and the fact that it had not been stolen - i.e.it was driven with the insured owner's knowledge? [ we don't know the fine print ]
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - L'escargot
Am i
liable for the other party claim?

My feeling is that the answer to that question is "Yes" because it was your car which damaged the other car, not the driver. I think you need professional advice.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - adverse camber
Def need to talk to one of the legal bods.

I would think you might have a defence that he took your vehicle without permission on the basis that you allowed load on the basis of him providing insurance.

No idea if that would stand up though.

You need to talk to a clued up solicitor asap.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - Armitage Shanks {p}
Driver had permission but it was obtained under false pretences ie deception re validity of insurance.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - adverse camber
Do they have get outs on deception? I seem to remember something about insurers not paying out when sellers are duped by fake cheques on payment? Bit I could very well be totally wrong.
I think the onus would be on the owner to prove that they took all reasonable steps to ascertain that the driver was insured/licensed.
Definitely one for the legal fraternity to comment upon.

And lessons for us all - who is allowed to drive your car, according to your insurance policy?

Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - jc2
You are responsible-you should have checked not just take a person's word.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - Cliff Pope
You are responsible-you should have checked not just take a person's word.

Why is that? If I lend someone my lawnmower and he causes an accident with it, am I liable? Does this Law of Vicarious Liability apply to all one's possessions, or only cars?
Off on a tangent...
A motor vehicle needs a license... as does a firearm...
a lawnmower doesn't.

I'd assume that as the registered keeper (of firearm OR vehicle), there'd be a duty for you to ensure that somebody who borrows it is fully qualified/capable/licensed to operate or use it.
For firearms would be a case of having relevant training certifcates and license to hold firearms, for vehicle to have relevant license, and insurance to operate it.

then try the devil's advocate clause - if I lend a car to somebody, he's licensed, insured etc. No problem.
But what if he renders himself incapable of driving through drinking? Then prangs?
No fault of mine... but if I was aware that he was under the influence when he took control/possession of the car, it would be down to me - hence that bloke getting banged up a few weeks aback after letting his sozzled girlfriend drive.

Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - Westpig
previous posters have mentioned getting legal advice, which i think is wise

bottom line is the driver of a car is the one insured. The car can obviously be insured on its' own e.g. fire, theft etc..but when someone is driving it, they are the insured.

if the owner has taken reasonable steps to ensure a driver is insured and that driver ends up not being e.g. through dishonesty, then i cannot see the owner being prosecuted for 'permitting' no insurance

traditionally, the Old Bill have taken the line of: you either give permission for someone to drive or you don't...so the driver is either liable for 'Taking a Conveyance' (similar to stealing) or the owner gets done for 'Permitting No Insurance'..but as stated above i'm convinced a 3rd way is open to interpretation

traditionally the Old Bill have taken the line of: you either give permission for someone
to drive or you don't...so the driver is either liable for 'Taking a Conveyance' (similar
to stealing) or the owner gets done for 'Permitting No Insurance'..but as stated above i'm
convinced a 3rd way is open to interpretation

Happens here a lot...
Teenager drives car, kid gets nicked with no license (or just a learner's license).
Police offer a hobson's choice...
Either kid gets prosecuted for twokking OR kid gets done for driving with no license (insurance isn't compulsory here) and parent/owner gets done for giving permission for kid to drive car.
Which is pretty cut and dried - obviously as am parent you'd be assumed to know whether your offspring were licensed or not.
BUT a friend? Now we're off on that 'reasonable' tack again, aren't we?
"I've known him for years... his car is in the garage getting fixed... I just assumed he had a license.."
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - kithmo
Off on a tangent...
A motor vehicle needs a license... as does a firearm...
a lawnmower doesn't.

No similarity there I'm afraid. You don't need a licence to own a vehicle, whereas you do to own a firearm. As I see it, you are not responsible for what happens to or with your vehicle when someone else is driving it but you are responsible for what happens when someone else uses your firearm. Motor vehicle insurance is driver/owner orientated i.e it is to cover the driver/owner for liabilities whilst he/she (or named driver) is driving/owning, not when someone else is driving.
I would say that the OP did not show negligence and he and the other party should sue his ex-friend for the accident.

Edited by kith on 09/01/2009 at 21:50

Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - Mapmaker
>>You are responsible-you should have checked not just take a person's word.

And how exactly do you suggest OP should have checked? The police don't believe insurance certificates these days - you can cancel the insurance the moment you have the certificate.
>>You are responsible-you should have checked not just take a person's word.
And how exactly do you suggest OP should have checked? The police don't believe insurance
certificates these days - you can cancel the insurance the moment you have the certificate.

Precisely.
Hence my use of the word 'reasonable' in an earlier post.

I think we're heading away from the original brief here.
The OP has obviously suffered a loss, not through his own actions, and I suspect that his only recourse would be taking action against his friend.
On the one hand: as a 'friend' I would believe what my friends tell me, if I had reasonable grounds and enough knowledge of them to believe it was the 100% truth.
On the other hand: We all assume the best, and in this instance, it was just a vehicle loss, NOT the loss of life. So we can learn a lesson from the OP's unfortunate circumstance, and never ever accept somebody's word.
(Which used to be somebody's bond. But now we shuffle off into a moral minefield... where people are prepared to lie, cheat and even perjure themslves rather than admit to their mistakes)

Even if his friend was (to give him the benefit of a very large doubt) under the aasumption that his insurance would give him the neccessary cover, ignorance is no excuse on his (the friend's) part, and therefore he is at fault, and the OP.

Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - jbif
... And how exactly do you suggest OP should have checked? >>

I can only suggest that you

1 . phone their insurance company and get confirmation from a named senior person that the driver has valid [current at the time you let them drive your car] insurance to drive other cars under their insurance. Even then, make sure you get it all down on paper as to time, date, name of person at insurance company who gives the all clear. [preferably get them to email you that they have given this confirmation].

2. in the absence of 1., do NOT let anyone drive who is not covered by your own insurance.

Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - FotheringtonThomas
>> ... And how exactly do you suggest OP should have checked? >>
phone their insurance company and get confirmation

They won't tell you. It's not necessary, anyway.
They won't tell you.

Then don't let the friend drive your car.
It's not necessary, anyway.

Why not?

Edited by jbif on 07/01/2009 at 10:16

>> It's not necessary anyway.
Why not?

See other post.
If you made it a(n express) condition that he had valid insurance when he had your car, and he hadn't got insurance but took it anyway, he was effectively driving the thing without your permission - you've a defence against "allowing and permitting", and the third party's claim is against him, not you. You also have a claim against him for damage to your car, etc. You should see a solicitor who deals with this sort of thing to get this sorted out. To deal with any charge of "allowing and permitting", you can write to (or see) the Clerk of the Court.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - teabelly
Pass it onto the named driver insurance company that your friend is named on as the driving other cars extension may apply. Depends on how the policy is worded. The one I have does cover both me and my other half explicitly for driving other cars (only TP) so the damage to the other party could be covered but your car won't.

Get a quote for repair or replacement of your car and present it to your friend. If he's a friend he'll cough up.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - captain chaos
Sorry to hear about your predicament old tom. As teabelly said, if he's a friend he'll cough up.

He shouldn't even need to be asked.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - BobbyG
This is why I don't allow anyone to drive my cars unless they have full comprehensive insurance and sometimes I get a bit of stick as a result.

Even if they are covered by their own third party, if they cause an accident then it will, I am sure, bring the end to a friendship especially if you are trying to get them to do repairs or pay for a replacement car for you!
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - captain chaos
Why should you even have to ask? You break it, you pay. If you have any sense of decency and honour that is.
What do you do if you're selling your car and the prospective buyer wants a test drive? Ask to see written proof of comprehensive insurance to drive any vehicle? No, you have to upgrade your own policy to any driver. The OP got into his unfortunate position by trying to do a friend a good turn, based on trust. It's hard to turn down a friend when they need a favour but sadly it doesn't always pay to be a nice guy
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - L'escargot
If you have
any sense of decency and honour that is.

Unfortunately they're things of the past. They may return, but I'm not expecting to see them in my lifetime.
Thanks for your comments. I allowed him to use my car as his own car had broken down and he wanted to go and buy Christmas presents for his children. He is divorced, lives in rented accommodation and has no assets and very little income. His deceit over being insured to drive my car has unfortunately severed our friendship.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - BobbyG
Thats horrible circumstances OT, on one hand I hope the car wasn't worth much, but on the other hand, the cost is irrelevant, it was your car and now you no longer have it.

Did he genuinely think he was covered or was he being deceitful?
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - Altea Ego
> Am i liable for the other party claim?

possibly unless you

Inform the police and the insurance company that the car was taken without your consent. As it happens it was because consent was only granted if he had insurance, you asked and he told you he had - he lied. Therefore taken without your consent. You will have to provide a statement to this effect, which will be used against your (ex) chum.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - jc2
Don't confuse friends with aquaintances!!!
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - stunorthants26
With friends like that... talk to a solicitor, take him for every remaining penny, he clearly had no worries destroying your property. I dont even let my dad drive my car.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - SpamCan61 {P}
With friends like that... talk to a solicitor take him for every remaining penny he
clearly had no worries destroying your property. I dont even let my dad drive my
car.

??? Given the " friend's " financial circumstances as described by the OP I feel rule #1 of litigation would apply - don't bother suing people who don't have the money to pay you. Best case the OP gets awarded a quid a week for 10 years or something, not worth the effort.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - Fullchat
143 Users of motor vehicles to be insured or secured against third-party risks

(1) Subject to the provisions of this Part of this Act?

(a) a person must not use a motor vehicle on a road unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act, and

(b) a person must not cause or permit any other person to use a motor vehicle on a road unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that other person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act.

(2) If a person acts in contravention of subsection (1) above he is guilty of an offence.

There are two scenarios:

1. A person takes the keys and drives the vehicle without your knowledge. 'Taking without the owners consent' (TWOC). You have no obligations if that happens.

2. You give the person permission to use the vehicle. You are therefore 'Permitting' its use and are liable under the Road Traffic Act.

It maybe that the Police are not involved in this case in which case you might be lucky to escape with the 'Permit No Insurance'

Now you could argue that you thought that they were insured for a number of reasons but I would suggest that you should take reasonable steps to check that the person was insured, in other words you at least examine their Insurance Certificate'. Anything less then you have not fulfilled your obligations.

There is a third scenario and that is say an errant sibling took your car for a spin and got stopped. You would be given the option to make a complaint of TWOC or face prosecution for 'Permitting'. However I don't see it as black and white as that because you cannot be forced to make a complaint or statement. So you didn't give permission and therefore cannot be prosecuted and without the complaint the sibling should not be prosecuted for TWOC.

Edited by Fullchat on 07/01/2009 at 16:44

... that you should take reasonable steps to check that the person was insured, in other words you at least examine their Insurance Certificate'. Anything less then you have not fulfilled your obligations. ... >>

IMO, that is how I see it.
But does it tally with Fotherington Thomas's view:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=70839&...e
" ... If you made it a(n express) condition that he had valid insurance when he had your car, and he hadn't got insurance but took it anyway, he was effectively driving the thing without your permission - you've a defence against "allowing and permitting", ... "

>> ... that you should take reasonable steps to check that the person was insured
>> in other words you at least examine their Insurance Certificate'. Anything less
>> then you have not fulfilled your obligations.

You have no obligation to do any such thing. If you make it a condition that they have insurance, and they haven't, it's their fault, not yours. See Stone's. I always make this condition when lending a vehicle to anyone at all, and it has put me in good stead a couple of times - words such as "You may use my vehicle on the condition that you have appropriate insurance to use it on the road" are a good form to use.
Stone's are very few and far between these days for me to have a butchers. Is there some Case Law? How could you prove that you had made that condition?
surely it would be for the prosecution to prove an offence, not a defendant to prove they haven't committed it. I know some offences (e.g. offensive weapon) are loaded against the defendant and some traffic type matters are 'absolute offences'...but if as FT says, an owner puts a condition to the borrowing of a motor vehicle and that condition is genuine then they've covered the angle
I hear what you say WP. I have no Case Law to support what is classed as taking 'reasonable steps'. As a car owner there are obligations and just to be able to shrug your shoulders and say "Well they said the were going to insure it" seem a bit washy to me.

Permit does require the person permitting to have guilty knowledge of the offence ('mens rea'). We all know that a driver requires to be insured.

"The general rule is that, to be guilty of a criminal offence requiring mens rea, an accused must possess that mens rea when performing the act or omission in question, and it must relate to that particular act or omission."

I would argue that by not checking that insurance was in force then 'an omission' has taken place.

I am sure there are greater legal brains than mine who might be able to quote specifics but without access to any decent reference material I am struggling.

Where's DVD when you want him?????
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - malden blue
knowingly, you didnt knowingly allow him to drive without insurance

are we right in asuming it was an old banger? in my youth I was always either lending or borrowing a car always on the assumption that they had insurance and vice versa

Id be much less likely to let someone borrow one these days, losing £500 of rust ridden garbage is a lot different to saying goodbye to £25,000 (most of which os still owed)
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - SteVee
Am I the only one with sympathy for OT's friend ?
Sounds like he needs a good friend now ... (yes, I know OT was a good friend before and lost out)

OT needs to consider two liabilities:
The first is from prosecution arising from letting the friend drive his car.
The second is from future insurance premiums - it's still possible that OT's insurance company could be involved, especially if there are any personal injury claims. In any event, this will probably need to be declared for future policies.

Definitely a case for legal advice - just for limiting your liabilities.

If you haven't got insurance cover for your friend driving your car - then your friend almost certainly doesn't have any better than 3rd party cover.
That said, I've sometimes let people drive my car on the track, knowing that there's absolutely no cover. Sometimes those other drivers haven't been old enough to drive on the road ....

Good Luck OT
Sounds like he needs a good friend now ...

he used up any goodwill when he lied and was deceitful to a friend. The fact he had an accident isn't the main issue, we can all make mistakes and a true friend ought to consider forgiveness for a mistake, even a great big one.

Lies told deliberately to someone isn't a mistake..it's a sneaky, unpleasant, underhand thing to do....so no sympathy from this quarter

Quite possibly.

OT needs to consider two liabilities:
The first is from prosecution arising from letting the friend drive his car.

No possibility.

The second is from future insurance premiums - it's still possible that OT's insurance
company could be involved especially if there are any personal injury claims.

Why?

The only way I can see OT's ins. co. being involved is should OT claim for his car.

That said I've sometimes let people drive my car on the track knowing that there's
absolutely no cover.

The track, assuming I've understood you correctly, is not the road.

Good Luck OT

AOL.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - Pugugly
Offence of Permitting No Insurance - difficult to wriggle out of if they go for you.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - woodster
So much misinformation in all the replies! There is case law - Fotherington Thomas is right in his last post - if you make it a condition of use that the other is insured you commit no offence. You may have to convince a court if you were prosecuted for permitting though. As for being put in the position of either 1) permitting or 2) your friend gets done for TWOC - rubbish! As Fullchat says you cannot be made to make a complaint of TWOC - that choice is yours, failure to do so does not automatically put you back in the frame for permitting.
There is case law

Is there any reason why you can't quote/name it then?

Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - hxj

My insurance has a clause that says that they will not pay out on a claim involving an uninsured driver unless I report the offence to the police and I co-operate fully with any investigation and prosecution, or words to that effect
The stated case about a conditional loan of a MV Tapsell v. Maslen 1967.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36830&...e

And like most things Backroom noting new under the "hat"
That wraps it up quite nicely!
>> There is case law
Is there any reason why you can't quote/name it then?

Read Stone's, your library will have/can get it for you, there's an electronic version, too. I can recommend it, it's an excellent read.
Liability from lending car to non-insured driver - woodster
jbif - I couldn't remember the case name, but then I don't need to! I'm surprised that other contributors offer uninformed opinion rather than fact. Doesn't seem to be much help when someone has asked a direct question. Opinion is good for provoking debate in some topic areas but fact helps in others. Just my opinion, of course...
Don't get to hung up on caselaw - its always there to be overturned.
I appreciate all the comments made, it just shows how opinions differ even in the legal fraternity. I am trying to glean some knowledge of the best or worst I may have to face.