00 1.9 PD Noise From Engine At Idle Engine Code:A - Nige 101
MyTDi estate makes a sound as though someone is playing the drums in the engine bay (!) at idle but does not affect performance on the road. A mate has suggested the EGR valve. Will it do any harm or should I replace it?

Also, the suspension on this car is truly dreadful (its on 16 inch wheels). Are there any easy ways of improving it? Is the Passat any better? Many thanks folks.

{volume in header lowered}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/11/2008 at 00:10

00 1.9 PD NOISE FROM ENGINE AT IDLE ENGINE CODE:A - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Most likely the alternator freewheeling pulley has siezed and is giving the tensioner grief. Watch the belt tensioner with the engine running, if its rapidly shaking then thats your problem. You can prove it by dropping the belt off. If so remove the alternator and take it to your nearest VW/Audi dealer and get one of the nice techies to change the pulley for you as it needs a special tool (sigh)
The other culprit for Loud-And-Expensive-Noises is the dual mass flywheel but this is usually accompanied by juddering on take-off.
00 1.9 PD NOISE FROM ENGINE AT IDLE ENGINE CODE:A - David Horn
If by "dreadful" you mean surprisingly floaty when driven moderately hard, then the Passat is the same.
00 1.9 PD NOISE FROM ENGINE AT IDLE ENGINE CODE:A - Nige 101
Sorry folks, I was a bit vague. I meant that the ride/suspension is very hard eg: when going over even very small speed humps the driver feels it far more than say in my previous M reg Pug 405 estate. Can different tyre pressures or maybe a set of 15 inch wheels help?

The drum noise is definitely the EGR valve. I removed the engine cover today and could feel it making the noise perhaps more accurately described as a quacking sound! Having removed it the innards were caked in sooty engine oil so I will try a good soak overnight and hope that cures it. By the way, its a TDi 115.