04 1.3 Auto - Spark Plug cost? - ohc
Hi, was wondering if you could help me.

My partner owns a NISSAN MICRA SE AUTO 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1386cc (20-10-2004) PETROL, and sadly when it comes to anything technical he's not the brightest spark in the camp and I am concerned that he is being 'ripped off'.

The car recently started 'misfiring' whenever it was cold or going slow.

He took it to the garage last week and was charged £150.00 for a replacement part that did not fix the problem he took the car in again this week and they changed the spark plugs which fixed the problem.

The garage told him that they would not charge him for labour - only the plugs. His bill this week was £48.00. Do Spark plugs really cost £12 each?

Sorry for being so suspicious but it does seem that any time things go wrong with this car the garage replace one part only to discover that it does not fix the problem hence my partner having to take the car in for a second time.

Is it time for him to go elsewhere? I'd really appreciate any of your thoughts on this.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/11/2008 at 10:10

04 1.3 Auto - Spark Plug cost? - Dynamic Dave
Spark plugs really cost £12 each?

Depending on what type they fitted, then yes.

Looking on www.sparkplugs.co.uk for example, the cheapest NGK's are something like £8.80 each - and then the garage would add on their handling charges, etc.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/11/2008 at 10:28

04 1.3 Auto - Spark Plug cost? - Rattle
Why do mechanics get away with this? I have a computer here which I fixed my simply rewiring the PSU connectors, two weeks later customer tells me its gone again. I've traced the fault to a dodgy motherboard which will cost a fortune to fix so I am either going to offer to do the job minus £20 (the price I charged to fix it originally) or give him the £20 back.

When ever we had these problems and my mechanic is not sure he will justy say a tenner now and give me another tenner if it solves the problem. I understand mechanics have to earn a living and can't keep test parts of every vehicle but at the end of the day this garage has charged you a part you didn't need (assuming it is the coil pack) without looking at the most obvious sympton of miss firing - the plugs.