03 2.40 Key won't work remotely - Matthew_J_King
Both keys were acting up (requiring several presses/being very close to the car) when locking/unlocking remotely. So I replaced the battery in both myself.

The key I usually use (and had it's battery replaced during at least 1 service) is fine.
But the 'spare' was probably on it's original battery and possibly got completely flat. This still dosn't work even with a fresh battery.
I've tried swapping the new batteries over - it's definately the key that's dud, not either new battery.

Local dealer wants £102+VAT/hour to diagnose and then possibly recode. Local Independant says you can only replace @£170.

Am I going to end up buying a replacement anyway? Could it be recodeable?

Cheers,
Matt.
03 2.40 Key won't work remotely - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like you are going to need a new key .They are not recodeable as they come pre-coded from the factory to vin #.A new key will start the car but will need to be synchronised to the cdl system by a sequence of holding and pushing the lock/unlok buttons.(info in the handbook).Btw ,some M/B dealers need to see the vehicle with proof of ID and reg document before they will order a new key.hth