07 5.0L 10 mth old V10 requiring new turbo & g/box - blueteal
16 days after owning our new 2nd hand Touareg the engine fault light appeared. 21 days later the car is still in the VW garage. It needed a new turbo and gearbox. We have had a courtesy car from VW during this time. We have lost confidence in this car and feel that the repairs have taken an unreasonable length of time. We are considering asking for a full refund. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this?

Edited by Pugugly on 26/05/2008 at 18:36

07 5.0L 10 mth old V10 requiring new turbo & g/box - Happy Blue!
The updated sale of goods act suggests that for a car of this age, any faults that develop within six months must have been present when the car was sold and therefore you have some protection in terms of a warranty from the seller (assuming you bought from a trader).

However if the car has been repaired under warranty, then how can you complain. Why lose confidence? The V10 is not such a popular car and presumably it took a while to identify the problem and source the replacement parts and during that time you have had a loan car. Again, why lose confidence?

However if the car has not been repaired yet, then I think you would have grounds after three weeks for a refund.
07 5.0L 10 mth old V10 requiring new turbo & g/box - blueteal
Thanks for the message Espada III. We bought the car from a VW main dealer and it was only 10 months old. All the work is being carried out under the warranty, but it is very dissapointing that we've owned this car just over 5 weeks and it's only spent 2 weeks on our own drive-way and 3 in the garage! Rang the garage today and they've only just got all the parts to replace and are starting the repairs today - maybe finished by next Monday - almost 4 weeks!
We've lost confidence because we don't feel that a car with this much high spec should go so wrong in such a major way, so early on in it's life.
HJ has kindly replied personally and said that we have to give the dealer 3 chances to repair the vehicle - is that 3 days, 3 chances to get the job done right or 3 weeks to do the job?
VW have a policy whereby they will replace a vehicle with major faults within the first 30 days - unfortunately we waited a long time for this particular colour/spec to come on the market and they can't come up with another one just like that.

07 5.0L 10 mth old V10 requiring new turbo & g/box - MVP
A friend of mine has owned a 2.5 td from new

Loads of problems, after 18 months had to have a new engine due to a "porous block"

Chews through V expensive tyres at an amazing rate as the edges get rubbed-off ("feature" of the car)

If I was you I would try to get your money back - these are expensive, low quality money pits

MVP
07 5.0L 10 mth old V10 requiring new turbo & g/box - ddr
We've lost confidence because we don't feel that a car with this much high spec
should go so wrong in such a major way so early on in it's life.

Since when are high spec cars more reliable? Conventional wisdom suggests the opposite!
07 5.0L 10 mth old V10 requiring new turbo & g/box - bimmer-driver
I agree with MVP- neighbours had a new 4.2 V8 from new that was a total disaster with near constant electrical problems that rendered it undriveable. Got more use from the VW emergency services courtesy car than his own.
07 5.0L 10 mth old V10 requiring new turbo & g/box - Bill Payer
To redress the balance, I know several people with Touareg's - including a colleague who has had an 04 one from new and has put a lot of miles on it (around 80K) and I'm not aware of it ever being off the road. His is a fairly basic 2.5 V6.

My BIL has a newer very high spec 3.0L and is delighted with it.

I imagine the 5L V10 is stretching everything though if the power and performance capability is used.

Edited by Bill Payer on 29/05/2008 at 00:20

07 5.0L 10 mth old V10 requiring new turbo & g/box - motorprop
maybe inquire about an extended warantee and hint you may reject the car if it is not forthcoming gratis or for an advantageous rate ?

Am curious , have always rated this engine , but what kind of dough did you part with ?