yr2000 1.4l - brake pedal force (not ABS) - Peugeot_306
Hi,

When I brake in my car, the force required on the brake pedal often varies between journeys. This can range from it being almost like a non-power assisted system which feels very dull (I went straight over a small zebra crossing at uni when it was first starting to happen and I wasnt prepared for it!), to requiring very little force and feeling a very sharp reaction. It probably only happens less than once every 15 journeys or so.

IIRC, when it does happen,it will feel very dull for the first part of a journey, and gradually improve. Turning the engine off and then starting it again will also affect the the performance of them - making them more reactive if they were feeling dull

I have also noticed that when I am braking and changing down a gear, when I release the clutch and the engine speeds back up again, the pedal seems to move slightly further down without any additional braking force being applied to the wheels.

Has anyone got any ideas what may be causing this to happen?

Its a 1.4l engine.

This post is purely to satisfy my own curiosity and I do not intend to try and fix it! I have not changed the brake fluid for a few years so maybe this is related?

For some very strange reason this car isnt fitted with ABS (despite it being fitted as standard since about 1998!). A bit of a side topic but anyone have any ideas why that would have happened as well?!)

Bit of a strange problem and a long shot but it's been bugging me for ages!

Cheers!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/12/2007 at 00:03

2000 Peugeot 306 brake pedal force (not ABS) - Screwloose

You need to get the brake servo and it's vacuum pipework checked urgently before it kills you. What you're describing is a failing brake servo - probably a leaking diaphragm. If it suddenly splits when you need it most......

Going straight over a zebra crossing could have been a bit unfortunate for a pedestrian who happened to be on it at the time.....
2000 Peugeot 306 brake pedal force (not ABS) - Peter.N.
If the pump is belt driven, check the belt tension.