Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - flunky
I get a lot of unsolicited email everyday, something which I find quite annoying as none of it is use, and while the sender might think it hugely important, I never do.

So I was really not impressed to receive an unsolicited email promoting this site, which has been sent to me as I am a member here. The terms of the site don't state that I will be sent advertising emails when I sign up, so it is definitely unsolicited spam mail.

I know it's only one email, but it's on that basis that I get 55 useless emails per day.

Not good.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - normd2
you just need to take some time to find out how to manage your in-box - here's a few key points:
never reply to (or even open) unsolicited mail as it will simply prove to the sender your address is live.
flag them as junk so your email system knows you don't want them.
be careful filling in on-line forms and watch out for check-boxes that either need ticked or not that will cause your address to be sent to 'companies we feel you may be interested in'

I follow these rules and get very little, maybe one or two a month at most and I use email and the web all the time.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - GregSwain
I get at least 5 a day that Hotmail doesn't filter out, all offering me masculinity-enhancements(!!), but the majority of the junk gets put in the junk-mail folder. Ironically it detected HJ's email as junk, and I had to trudge through all the rubbish to find it.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - Dulwich Estate
The tactic is cheap, annoying and has changed my opinion of HJ. I my case the email has caused the complete reverse of its intention.

But there you go - as I'm an old duffer things like that that really, really annoy me.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - Big Bad Dave
I'm a lonely expat and surrounded by people who hate me so my initial reaction was to ask Sarah out for a drink but it occurred to me that she might be his wife.
I'm a lonely expat and surrounded by people who hate me

Surely not.... There must be plenty of lovely people. Where is this place?
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - Big Bad Dave
"Where is this place?"

Poland. Home of the friendliest, loveliest people on Earth - until you have to work with them.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - jbif
"The tactic is cheap, annoying and has changed my opinion of HJ. I my case the email has caused the complete reverse of its intention.
But there you go - as I'm an old duffer things like that that really, really annoy me. "

How on earth is this spam? It is a single email sent to members of this forum using their registered email address.
It is telling members who do not visit the site, as frequently as "Dulwich" and "flunky" do, that there is a new look to the site imminent.
There must be hundreds of members who ahve signed up in the past who have moved on after their one or two problems were resolved, and it does no harm to Honestjohn or the regular visitors to send a round-robin email telling people of the improvements coming on 1st October.

Get a grip. Why all the fuss and over-reaction? Have you read the privacy policy in the small print? Is that not reassuring or good enough for you?

Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - Pica
I agree with jbif this in my eyes is not spam and I dont have a problem receiving emails from sites/forums I subscribe to.

This morning I had 288 spam messages captured by filters Honest John email was not classed as spam.

How on earth is this spam?

Because it is unsolicited. It is spam by its very definition. It is important that this is understood.
It is a single email sent to members of
this forum using their registered email address.
It is telling members who do not visit the site as frequently as "Dulwich" and
"flunky" do that there is a new look to the site imminent.
There must be hundreds of members who ahve signed up in the past who have
moved on after their one or two problems were resolved and it does no harm
to Honestjohn or the regular visitors to send a round-robin email telling people of the
improvements coming on 1st October.

Er yes, but those people who don't visit the site regularly don't care. They had a problem, they wanted to do some research, they sorted it out, and they moved on. If they have another issue they will come back.

Argos have a new look to their website as well, it is much better than the old one, but they aren't presumptuous enough to email their entire customer base telling them - when a customer wants to use their service, they will visit the site and will notice it, as I did yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised and my opinion of their quality rose. If I had received an email notifying me I would NOT have been impressed.

'Website gets redesigned' is very exciting for the website owner and webmaster, mildly interesting to regular users, and of no interest whatsoever to anyone else - they really, really, do not care that road tests are now easier to access.
Get a grip. Why all the fuss and over-reaction? Have you read the privacy policy
in the small print?

Yes I have, and that is why I am complaining. If you sign up to Ticketmaster it clearly says they may send you emails advertising things. If you don't like this, you don't sign up there.

WHen you sign up here you are given no such warning, you don't agree to this.

It's not over-reaction, it's important that people observe proper etiquette about sending emails to thousands of people, there are laws about it, and 'just one little spam' is one spam too many.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - Badwolf
For the love of mickey mouse (blasphemy deleted) flunky, get a sense of persepective!

If our great leader manages to entice back people who no longer use the site then more people will click on the links creating more revenue and thus securing the future of the site (hopefully).

I hope this is the most serious thing you have to face today. Wouldn't like to see your reaction to a real problem...
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - martint123
I'm afraid I put it down as spam myself. Unwanted, Unneeded Junk Mail.
I never read more than the first line. I put in in the same class as the spam that came from the "pipeline" thing.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - Leif
For the love of mickey mouse (blasphemy deleted) flunky get a sense of persepective!
If our great leader manages to entice back people who no longer use the site
then more people will click on the links creating more revenue and thus securing the
future of the site (hopefully).
I hope this is the most serious thing you have to face today. Wouldn't like
to see your reaction to a real problem...

I agree. One email from HJ is trivial and if it helps the site, fine. In the past I emailed him with a car related problem and got a response less than a hour or so later. Amazing. And the site is free.

If our great leader manages to entice back people who no longer use the site
then more people will click on the links creating more revenue and thus securing the
future of the site (hopefully).

Er, that is the very definition of spam, and it is not allowed. There are no exceptions. I would quite like to secure the future of *my* site, but that doesn't mean I have any right to send out emails unsolicited.

I understand that you think it is trivial, but you have to take a stand somewhere. We are all civilised Daily Telegraph readers, and if we can't understand that you should get people's consent BEFORE you send out email then there is no hope for anyone...
I hope this is the most serious thing you have to face today. Wouldn't like
to see your reaction to a real problem...

Now then there is no need to be insulting, I just think this site should be above this. Clearly there are a lot of people in media/promotion that don't understand about spam, data protection laws, etc., and I think they should.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - Badwolf
Now then there is no need to be insulting

Sorry flunky, that wasn't my intention. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, eh?
flunky. have you not read where it says "Occasionally we may need to email you "?

flunky. have you not read where it says "Occasionally we may need to email you
"?

I clicked 'New Account' then 'terms', and also 'small print' at the bottom. And it doesn't say that.
"I clicked 'New Account' then 'terms', and also 'small print' at the bottom. And it doesn't say that."

Keep searching, and, for sure, you will find it.

Keep searching and for sure you will find it.

I did find it, for sure, already by searching for the words you posted, and there is a message currently on page 467 of 940 of the forum about needing to email people if they had a message deleted or similar. But I can't imagine you could possibly be referring to something 467 pages, about 10 weeks of solid reading, into the forum.
"But I can't imagine you could possibly be referring to something 467 pages, about 10 weeks of solid reading, into the forum."

You are quite right. I am not. Keep looking.

Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - J Bonington Jagworth
It's not the spam that worries me - it's the face lift!
"Er, that is the very definition of spam, and it is not allowed. There are no exceptions"

Does thin mean that flunky is making a serious allegation here that Honestjohn is in breach of UK legislation regarding spam? If flunky is saying this is spam, then by definiton Honestjohn is breaking anti-spamming laws.

Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - normd2
could spouting drivel on a forum be counted as spam? Apart from some of my own postings this has to be the biggest non-event I've read on here.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - paulb {P}
...this has to be the biggest non-event I've read on here.

Afraid I have to agree with that. We have all had one e-mail saying (in summary) "Hey chaps, we're redesigning the site, it all kicks off on 1 Oct and it's going to be great!"

Now, I may have read the thing differently from some, but nowhere in it did I see any attempt to get me to
1) buy anything
2) assist shady individuals based in West Africa to move astronomically large sums of money around the globe in return for a generous helping thereof
3) engage in business with the sender in arranging commercial mortgages and thereby make ££££ in commission (I get an awful lot of these, for some reason)
4) do anything other than continue to visit a site I come to daily.

Hence in my book, it ain't spam - and certainly not when compared with the amount of stuff you can get sent from the likes of Facebook, or one or two of the bike forums. Nothing to get exercised about, I'd say

Anything that might persuade a few lapsed members to poke their heads round the virtual door once again (thus helping the site's revenue at no cost to themselves) has to be a good thing.

Does thin mean that flunky is making a serious allegation here that Honestjohn is in
breach of UK legislation regarding spam? If flunky is saying this is spam then by
definiton Honestjohn is breaking anti-spamming laws.

The definition of what is spam would be in the statute. Whether or not the legal definition is the same as the common one, I have not checked. I was making a polite comment, not attempting to make legal threats, as I'm sure you're aware, and I don't know what you're trying to achieve by implying otherwise.

Since you ask, I searched Google, and found the relevant statute. I am not a lawyer, so you can interpret it yourself.

www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032426.htm
22. Use of electronic mail for direct marketing purposes

(2)Except in the circumstances referred to in paragraph (3), a person shall neither transmit, nor instigate the transmission of, unsolicited communications for the purposes of direct marketing by means of electronic mail unless the recipient of the electronic mail has previously notified the sender that he consents for the time being to such communications being sent by, or at the instigation of, the sender.

(3) A person may send or instigate the sending of electronic mail for the purposes of direct marketing where -

(a) that person has obtained the contact details of the recipient of that electronic mail in the course of the sale or negotiations for the sale of a product or service to that recipient;

(b) the direct marketing is in respect of that person's similar products and services only; and
(c) the recipient has been given a simple means of refusing (free of charge except for the costs of the transmission of the refusal) the use of his contact details for the purposes of such direct marketing, at the time that the details were initially collected, and, where he did not initially refuse the use of the details, at the time of each subsequent communication.

" I was making a polite comment, not attempting to make legal threats "
flunky, let me quote two sentences of what you wrote in an earlier reply above.

"Er, that is the very definition of spam, and it is not allowed. There are no exceptions"
"Clearly there are a lot of people in media/promotion that don't understand about spam, data protection laws, etc., and I think they should."

Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - none
Agree JBJ, and what's that round thing at the end of his face, Chin, adams apple, or some sort of bling ?
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - Stuartli
>>Apart from some of my own postings this has to be the biggest non-event I've read on here.>>

Perfectly true.

I don't regard one e-mail (which I read via its Properties to ensure that it WASN'T spam!) from HJ as being anything more than a sensible and appropriate message to forum members, whether they are active or not on the site.

Those who have apparently become paranoid because they have had one such e-mail really should, according to the well known expression, get a life.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - local yokel
Is it possible that some (or all) of the complainants need to get out a bit more? I'm not sure I've ever seen such a fuss about such an insignificant event.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - Brit_in_Germany
Although others have already responded, I would question the OP's position that HJ's email was unsolicited. Is the OP seriously saying that whenever he sends an email he or she explicitly includes permission for the recipient to respond? If not, following the logic(?) of this argument, all mail received is technically unsolicited. If you give your email address to someone, there is the implicit understanding that this person may contact you using the address provided.
Unsolicted email (spam) from Honest John - Dynamic Dave
LOCKED.

As others have said, it's one email. Get over it.

For all those complaining, I suggest you enrol as tutors at your nearest college for the "How to be Victor Meldrew" course. I'm sure all potential pupils will get a grade A pass ;o)

DD.