Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - moonshine

Hi All,

My Dad's Pug 405 1.9TD estate is giving up the ghost and starting to burn more engine oil than fuel. So the hunt is on for a suitable replacement. Being a pensioner his budget is limited to circa £2k and I'm looking for something that is 'functional' - i.e. not bothered about colour, styling or extras. Should be cheap to run so nothing over 2.0L size engines, petrol or diesel would fit the bill.

I'm considering estate variants of the following:

Ford Mondeo
Vauxhall Vectra
Peugeot 406

Hoping to get something around on a 2000 plate or there abouts.

Anyone got any other suggestions or experience of any of the above?

Thanks in advance!
Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - LHM
If he's used to the 405, the 406 would be a 'familiar' upgrade. You could do a lot worse....
Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - R75
I went for an Accord Aerodeck, some good ones around well within that budget, below average mileage and fsh, not normally rep cars so a lot have been well looked after with Honda reliability.
Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - barney100
Consider a Volvo 940, a good search could enearth a bargain.
Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - RichardW
Providing you don't want a diesel, there are plenty of petrol Xantia estates about for buttons.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - Happy Blue!
are the Focus, Astra, 307, etc too small. I bet a Xsara Estate would be very good value.
Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - bell boy
bit sticky for 2 grand but the best focus he can get for the bread
or a mondeo
Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - DP
Mondeo. Loads around, very reliable, and if he sticks with a petrol, it will cost next to nothing to fix if it does go wrong.

My 7yr old 130,000 mile mk2 has cost me next to nothing to run over the last 2 years, and has just passed its 2nd MOT in my hands with only an advisory on a rear tyre that's past its best (but still legal).

The estates are vast as well.

Cheers
DP
Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - moonshine

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far - I think the Mondeo is going to fit the bill. Plenty to choose from and cheap maintenance sounds good.

Is there anything in particular to watch out for on the mondeo? I would probably be looking for a high mileage but well maintained example. Sounds like the petrol would be a better option.
Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - Martin1981
I'd say a Mondeo with the 1.8 petrol or 1.8TD or a Peugeot 406 with a 1.8 petrol or 1.9TD. Plenty around for bargain basement prices and are good load luggers.

Martin
Ideas for a functional estate circa £2k - Martin1981
Mondeos are generally reliable, but if you are looking at a high mileage example i.e. 100k or more, check that the clutch is not 'biting near the top' or slipping as clutch replacement on these is around the £500 mark.

Martin