Tomtom One problem ..... solved? - Waino
On the whole, I have to say that I have been enormously impressed by the capabilities of my Tom tom One. I have, however, been rather less impressed by its readiness to shut down and not start again - but I think I've solved the problem.

When it shut down, the screen showed the SD card with a red cross through it - Tomtom's answer was that it needed a new download. But ..... although my pc showed Tomtom as a removable drive, Tomtom Home could not recognise that the device was connected. When we tried my mate's Tomtom sd card in my machine, it worked perfectly. I fiddled about with the write-protection switch on my card, squeezed it a few times and re-inserted it ..... and it worked perfectly again! Obviously an intermittently faulty sd card - which I hope Tt will replace as it isn't 6 months old yet.

Does this story sound familiar to any other Tomtom users?
Tomtom One problem ..... solved? - wotspur
The only problem I've had recently was going from Weybridge to Caversham via Henley, it said cross the bridge and take the 2 left...... this howeverit happened to be a one way street,( how'd that happen, has it only been changed recently?? , so I had to go all the way around the town, and take the 1st turning.
Tomtom One problem ..... solved? - graham woods
HI Waino, I have these cards if you get stuck, Cheers, Graham.
Thanks, Graham. I thought the cards were fairly standard stuff but didn't know how relevent the size/speed specifications were for use in the Tomtom. The other thing I wasn't sure about was how to get info' from one sd card to the other.

I'll let you know how I get on with Tomtom's customer service dept!

Thanks, Waino.
Tomtom One problem ..... solved? - IanJohnson

>>The other thing I wasn't sure about was how to get info' from one sd card to the other.

Not sure about TT1 but would expect a PC to see the SD card with the TT plugged in and you may be able to copy to PC hard drive and then to the new card.

If not then do you know anyone with a PDA or PC with an SD slot who could copy them over for you?

Worst case get a USB card reader that reads SD cards.
Tomtom One problem ..... solved? - tr7v8
Or a cheapy card reader which goes in a USB socket.
When SWMBO gets back, I'll have a look at her laptop - I reckon it's got card reader slots. We've never had cause to write onto a card. Presumably you should read from the old card (assuming it's in a cooperative mood), store on the hard drive, and re-write to the new card. Anyone know the specification (capacity/speed) of sd card needed for a Tomtom?

BTW, I'm still hoping for a reply from Tomtom.
Tomtom One problem ..... solved? - Ravenger
It's just a standard SD card I think. I was running out of space on my TomTom One's original 128mb card, so I replaced it with a 2gb one from Amazon.com. (Was very cheap - no point in getting a smaller one!)

Works fine. I just used the TomTom software to back up my old card, then restored it to the new one.

I think you can use a card reader instead if you want. I've used that method to install speed camera POI files on my SD card.
After 2 e-mails from Tomtom which assumed that my problems with the device were caused by the need for a further download, I explained that everything worked fine when my friend's card was used in the machine. I added that my card suffered from intermittent failure - which rendered it too unreliable to be useful. Everything pointed to a dodgy card.

After 4 days, Tomtom have replied saying 'It is not possible to exchange your sd card; we can only arrange a repair for you if it is still having problems'. This is not very useful as they made no mention about how to go about getting a repair done, where to return it etc. - let alone the likely saga of dealing with an intermittent fault.

Have any Backroomers returned equipment to Tomtom - is it a hastle? As a matter of principle, I would like this to be dealt with under the guarantee but maybe it would be cheaper and simpler to simply buy another card, transfer the data, curse Tomtom's customer 'call centre' and move on.
Tomtom One problem ..... solved? - henry k
>>....... curse Tomtom's customer 'call centre' and move on.
>>
My only communication with TomTom left me with the same response.
I found themn most unhelpful.
I was reporting that the voice directions were totally wrong at at least two locations on a basic route.
They were not interested.
Tomtom One problem ..... solved? - Ford Dagenham
Hello

We are always having problems with out go 910.

One particular forum i have found usefull is yournav.com (its a uk site)

They helped solve a problem with it quicker than TT themselves.
--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
I was reporting that the voice directions were totally wrong at at least two locations on a basic route.>>

Henry, one of the things that I learned to accept with the Tomtom (when it was working!) was that some of the things that it told you were plain stupid. In the end, I kind of developed a relationship with it rather like a map-reading passenger who was right 90% of the time. What's more, a passenger who didn't look out of the window whilst telling you to cross the central barrier of a new dual carriageway and drive into a field! I am led to believe that these problems are largely due to the fact that the maps used by the device are not up to date - and I suspect that this problem is not just confined to Tomtom.

I bought my Tomtom One at Christmas and the maps are clearly nowhere near up to date. Interestingly, this morning, I received an e-mail from Tomtom saying that new maps were available and that by entering the product code from your Tomtom you could identify if your existing map was out of date. When I entered the code for mine, I was informed that my maps were OK. So, goodness only knows what the time lag is between road alterations being made and the information being available to satnavs.
Waino.

My complaint was very very simple.
I was just running my son's TomTom on my old local commuting route, of many many years, just out of interest.
It is a simple A road route. I found it wrong at two location.
1. The road curved right and the voice said bear left ( or was it John Cleese saying beaver right ;-) ). The road has been there, unchanged for decades.
2. IIRC the voice said take the 7th exit and something equally wrong driving back.
This was at J3 of the M4 so hardly out of date maps.

I love maps and have many.
I also have a very good navigator SWMBO.
Sorry, Henry, I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought all Tomtom's idiosyncracies were soley down to out of date mapping. I've had daft directions and translation difficulties as well e.g. not knowing the difference between 'bear left' and 'turn left' and calling a left hand bend in the road a 'turn left'.

I too am a great fan of OS Landranger maps (my job depends on them) and SWMBO (who, unfortunately, can't come with me because she has her own job to go to!).

The latest in the problems with my Tomtom: I decided to take it back to Halfords; a month ago they had put me onto their first-stage procedure which was to ring Tomtom's customer service dept. I have to say that the young chap in our local branch, Bury St Edmunds, (I think he was the deputy manager) could only be described as very polite, very pleasant and very helpful. He rang Tomtom on my behalf and has returned the machine to them. I only hope that the message gets through to check the card out first rather than take everything to bits. It puts me in mind of my old flatmate who was an agricultual engineer. When our vacuum cleaner packed up and started smoking, he took it completely to pieces and had it spread out on the lounge floor for 6 months. When, in desperation I looked at it, I saw that the problem was just a big ball of fluff jammed up the suction pipe.
The sequel .....

After returning the unit to Tomtom via Halfords and explaining to Halfords and the Tomtom chap that the problem was an intermittent fault with the SD card, I collected the 'repaired' unit this morning.

The note accompanying it read "After testing we were unable to find any problems with your product. Therefore we have not replaced any parts or carried out any repairs on your product. Also sent: SD card - this has not been serviced."

Arrrrrrrgh!!! Doesn't it make you weep?

I think my best bet now, rather than more blood-pressure inducing dealings with these morons, is to duplicate the card onto a new SD card and move on.
Tomtom One problem ..... solved? - Neiltoo
Or you could return the TT to Halfords as not of merchantable quality, get your money back, and buy a good road atlas, using internet mapping to locate individual destinations before you leave. This is what we do.

Your contract is with Halfords, not TT.
>>Arrrrrrrgh!!! Doesn't it make you weep?
>>
You were warned about their customer service :-((
I wonder if anyone who works for Tomtom ever visits this site???
Tomtom One problem ..... solved? - Ravenger
If there's an intermittent problem with the specific SD card then you can get blank cards for only a few pounds these days. Copy the data from the old card to the new, and it should work. I've done this with my TT One.

Ok, so it should be TomTom's responsibility, but at least this way you get a working unit for minimal hassle.
I've done this with my TT One. >>

What spec/size card did you use, please, Ravenger?
Ok so it should be TomTom's responsibility but at least this way you get a

working unit for minimal hassle.>>

This is the conclusion that I've reached.